Smokin deal on a used Macbook Pro...literally

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonyab523, Oct 25, 2010.

1. sonyab523 macrumors newbie

So a few months ago I was looking for a used Macbook Pro to save some cash. I admittedly low balled this guy for a 13" early 2010 model: 2.26 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Hard drive for $700. I expected to get laughed at but he accepted. It came with a case and the keyboard cover...

Now I get it home and notice it smells like cigarettes, and I mean badly. I take the cover and the keyboard cover off, it eliminates most of it, but still under the keyboard it smells. I went through the vinegar and soap and water routine. Now 2 months later most of it is gone but it's still there if you smell the keyboard, I know I'm being funny but I hate the smell of cigarettes. Will it ever go away?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unlikely, unless you replace the top case. Odors like those generated by the chemicals in cigarette smoke tend to last a long time.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

That's why I never buy used computers.

You had better disinfect the keys while you are at it. Never know what the previous owner was doing while using that computer. :eek:

4. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

*equip flame retardant suit*

As someone who has sold stuff online in the past and still sell stuff from time to time, I would like to say that you deserved what you got. I hate people who low ball on a sale, especially if you know this person irl.

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I agree. Your only hope is a nearby room re freshener. Bummer. Oh, just thought of something. Why don't you call one of those companies that comes in after there is a fire in your house and cleans everything. See if they have something that wont rot or destroy your computer.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

Why be a hater towards low ball offers? The seller didn't have to take it. If you're insulted by a low offer that's your problem. It's really no big deal when all you have to say is no thanks, instead of getting all hate filled towards the person. :rolleyes:

7. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

That sucks... Man if i bought something used from local sales and etc...
    and it smelled like vinegar and cigarettes, i'd be tad disappointed. but the price was good

I recently bought a MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, for $785

It's a great deal for great specs. It runs great!