Smoking a pipe

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Hello!
I was thinking about trying smoking tobacco via a pipe. I don't plan on making it a habbit, I've just always wanted to try it. Anyways, my question is, does anyone here on Macrumors smoke a pipe? If I was to buy one, does anyone have some advice for a beginner? What kind of pipe and tobacco would you recommend? I was thinking of spending around $50 for a $30 pipe, a tin of tobacco, a pouch for it, and a tool for my pipe myself, does that sound right? Thanks:)

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Pipe & cigar smoking in public has got to be the most obnoxious form of bad behavior I can think of.

One cigar can make an entire city block reek. Do people actually think hundreds of other people want to smell their cheap cherry-scented carbon monoxide?

Not to rain on your parade, but buying yourself cancer is one thing, making but pipe/cigar smoking is absurd.

My advice: Don't start. Why pay money for something that gives you absolutely nothing in return? Cancer, shorter life, and a horrible smell is all it gives you, and I cannot see why anyone would pay for that.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Lets please not start a "is smokin right argument". That is going off topic. Also where does he state he´s gonna do it in public?

L

Lau

I think pipe smoke smells really really bad, but having said that, the look of smoking a pipe is kind of amusing. I knew a guy called Ralph that smoked a pipe since he was 12, and I thought that had a certain element of style. :D

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
I have a friend who enjoys a pipe.
He would scoff at a $30 pipe, apparently it makes a difference. I'd stop by a couple of tobacco stores and get their opinion on the best pipe, tobacco, and cleaners. Trying it won't kill you, but trust me- nicotine in any form is addictive. And it's really hard to quit. Good luck !

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Your 16...why are thinking about smoking a pipe.

Whether it's a pipe or cigar/cigarret (sp?) i think it is stupid to do...especially at 16.

I had an uncle that smoke a pipe but he quit cause he started to lose teeth. I also had a grandfather that died from cigarrets. NOt a good habit to get into. Personally i find pipe smoke to smell good...if it is the good kinda tobacco but cigars and cigarrets smell nasty to me.

Keep yourself healthy for five-10 more years and dont ever smoke. It's not worth it.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I enjoy a cigar everyone in awhile. I have smoked tabacco out of a pipe before and it is disgusting, worse than second hand smoke from a cigarette. If you do want to smoke buy yourself some nice cigars and smoke them from time to time.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Pipe smoke is fantastic but a good cigar (costing around $10 minimum) requires less equipment and is more of a social thing.

Of course, I only use either one a few times a year, so it's not hurting anything except my wallet.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
I enjoy an occasional pipe.

Check out the ASP FAQs. You can find many quality shops in the Merchants section. I like www.cupojoes.com and www.affordablepipes.com, but there are many good shops to choose from.

There are some risks with tobacco use, but enjoying pipes/cigars is not like chain smoking cheap, crappy cigarettes. You don't (well, you're not supposed to) inhale pipe smoke. If you exercise moderation, an occasional pipe is really not that bad, regardless of what the anti-tobacco nannies tell you. An occasional glass of wine is OK; drinking an entire bottle of wine every day is not OK. The same goes for pipes/cigars.

Also, I see that you are not 18, and that will a problem if you want to buy tobacco.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. :cool:

Apparently the following text was too small. Let me make it larger. :rolleyes:
BTW, if you don't like tobacco, that's fine, but stay on topic! Since your anti-tobacco rhetoric does not contribute to the question(s) asked, please take it to another thread. Rolleyes in 3..2..1.. :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This reminds me of this caller to the Wright Stuff once. She was basically a middle aged woman, unmarried, well educated, financially well off, posh accent etc. She rang in to say that she want to get into cigarette smoking. I swear it was just the most crazy thing you'd expect to hear in the morning. A posh woman asking how she can get into smoking! Matthew just said if she's asking about smoking then she's probably best not getting into it.

If I could say some magic word so you won't smoke and I could sleep a little better knowing I potentially stopped lung cancer then I'd say it. but I dont know. but I can only say good luck and dont smoke too much. the only advice i know about cigar/pipe smoking is that you don't actually inhale it. the tobacco is acidic/alkaline and is pretty damn destructive compared to regular cigarettes. though I was told this years ago so god knows if its true! apparently its just 'the look'. compared to the pure addiction, withdrawal symptoms, crack addict similarities of Cigarette smoking - pipe smoking is probably not as bad.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2005
Hey, can you put bubble liquid in a regular wooden pipe without hurting it? I wouldn't smoke a pipe, but I might enjoy blowing bubbles with it....:D

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Patmian212 said:
Lets please not start a "is smokin right argument". That is going off topic. Also where does he state he´s gonna do it in public?
Smoking cigarettes makes a bad smell which in most sercumstances is relitively tollerable. Cigars/Pipes on the otherhand is a whole different story. Do everyone around you a favor and be sure you have at least a 100 foot distance between you and anyone else when you smoke. Its a DEADLY habit that causes an extremely painful and ugly death that I unfortunately have had to watch first hand.

But hey, your 16, your gonna do it anyway...:rolleyes: Enjoy!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Funny.. I've been thinking about smoking a pipe lately.

However, I'm 34 and (up until 15 weeks ago) I've smoked for nearly 20 years.

I quit.

Hardest thing I've ever had to do. I suggest not starting it if you're not already addicted to smoking. It's very expensive and what do you gain from it?

Why not take up heroin?

I still can't shake the want to start smoking a pipe however.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
freeny said:
Smoking cigarettes makes a bad smell which in most sercumstances is relitively tollerable.
To each his own then. I think cigarette smoke is the most disgusting stinking stench there is. Even when they're "uncooked", the tobacco stinks like stale cardboard, quite in contrast to a good cigar or pipe leaf.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Apple Hobo said:
There are some risks with tobacco use, but enjoying pipes/cigars is not like chain smoking cheap, crappy cigarettes. You don't (well, you're not supposed to) inhale pipe smoke. If you exercise moderation, an occasional pipe is really not that bad, regardless of what the anti-tobacco nannies tell you.
A recent British study found that occasional cigar or pipe use (one a week or less IIRC) had no effect on health whatsoever.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Step away from the pipe - that is seriously nasty stuff. Much like yellow I also quit smoking (cigs) recently after a 15 year habit. Ouch that hurt. Nowadays the only pipe I can go for is...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You should ask your parents what pipe they would get...then ask them for a ride to the shop so you can buy it.
Let us know what they say.

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
I won't try to dissuade you from pipe smoking because of your health, but merely for your social image. Pipe smoking, in all but a few individuals, makes you look like an idiot, similar to wearing a cravat, a monocle, or a fedora. It usually seems clear that is being done because of a desire to be 'interesting', but more often just makes a person seem insecure and needy.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Dros said:
I won't try to dissuade you from pipe smoking because of your health, but merely for your social image. Pipe smoking, in all but a few individuals, makes you look like an idiot, similar to wearing a cravat, a monocle, or a fedora. It usually seems clear that is being done because of a desire to be 'interesting', but more often just makes a person seem insecure and needy.
quoted for truth and so that it will be read again.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Smoking a pipe makes one look needy? And insecure?

Wouldn't caring what other people think about you becuase of what you wear or do make you insecure? And needy?

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
aricher said:
Nowadays the only pipe I can go for is...

When I was in college some friends of mine labeled water pipes with that. The art students got it. The people who spoke french sorta got it. A lot of the geek target audience didn't.

Smoking is bad. i have to fall into the category of people who say that cigarettes smell worse than cigars and pipes.

There are also water pipes which keep a lot of the flavor but pull out a lot of the tar. A good turkish hookah.