smoking and e-cigarettes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Diet Pepsi, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Diet Pepsi macrumors member

My 26 year old son has smoked since he was 16. He was up to 2 packs a day. Since he was in sales, he knew it wasn't good to smell like cigarette smoke, when he was in meetings, so he tried the e-cigarettes. www.greensmoke.com/christmas

I am proud to say that he hasn't had a real cigarette for 13 days.

He chose the chocolate flavor and medium nicotine.

He said that his taste buds are back already and now he can "vape" where ever he pleases. (Even in those meetings.)

There is no smoke, they only give off a water vapor.

Since he is an Apple/computer type guy, he likes the designs on the cartridges and having a funny "cigarette" that has to be charged.

He does have ongoing costs, but nothing like with analog cigarettes.

I know there is a site dedicated to vaping, but I don't have a link.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I would like to try it. I smoke very little now, but can't seem to quit. Too bad they don't sell it in Canada.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oohh...I like this idea. It's so subversive. :) I'd have to try it first though. And how can it be totally harmless?

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

My buddy has Blu Cigs. They are pretty sweet.

I have never been a big addicted smoker. And after living in a apartment with two heavy smokers, i have grown to hate the smell.

These seem like a great alternative to the smoke smell, even if you still are addicted.

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Well it's not totally harmless as you are still inhaling nicotine which is feeding your habit (unless you use one without a nicotine insert), but it's only water vapour being inhaled, like being in a steam room. My grandfather has used one of these for the past few months and it has helped him stop smoking after 55 years. I think they are extremely worthwhile as an aid to stopping smoking, but certainly not as a permanent solution.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They're not.... the FDA found diethylene glycol in some last year, and nicotine itself is not harmless. However, mostly the issue seems to be right now that they're essentially untested and unregulated. This has led some stated, such as yours, to try and get rid of them if they can.

EDIT: As far as this thread goes, the OP is not really eligible for a political discussion, as he/she does not meet PRSI requirements. I guess we can try to do this without talking politics....

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

From looking at the site, it looks like it is indeed meant as a permanent solution. And they are also making the claim that it is totally safe.

Of course. Illinois has been so freakish about smoking bans.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've read a lot of compelling information that those things have plenty of harmful chemicals the same as cigarettes. There's a reason that they're not allowed to be sold in certain countries, and the CDC and FDA haven't approved them as alternatives to real cigarettes.

9. ethical macrumors 68000

I think the plan would be to lower their nicotine content over time. Like you would with patches. Just a guess though.

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Well they are sold with different strengths of nicotine inserts, so I think that much like nicotine patches or gum, they are meant to be reduced over time. As far as I'm aware they are also used for many smokers who aren't addicted to smoking itself, but to the act of holding the cigarette to give them something to do. These have been available for a few years now, and there is evidence that they are not completely harmless (hence some countries refusing to allow them to be sold), but that website has put a debatable view on it.

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Not sure

Not sure how I feel about these...

One of my good friends is CHAIN smoker, and got his hands on some of these e-cigs, now he chain smoke it inside, then about every half hour, goes outside to smoke a normal cig...

Counter-productive?

12. ethical macrumors 68000

On his wallet, maybe (depending how much these eThingys cost). But if he's smoking fewer real cigarettes then maybe not.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As far as I am concerned, if one really wants to quit smoking, then one should simply quit smoking and not try to replace with Band-Aids.

14. James L macrumors 6502a

Just curious, but what is your history as a smoker?

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Smoked for 20+ years, 2+ packs a day at my height. Quit cold turkey for 3 years. Went back to sneaking for 1 year. Quit again 4 months ago.

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think that's the thing - you've got to want to quit. Unless you want to stop then you have no chance. Surely the e-ciggies are better than the real thing but only your mind will help you totally stop.

I was lucky - I knew I wanted to quit one day and stopped. I thought I'd need gum or patches but actually knew I didn't - it was as easy as can be....... but you need to want it.... to know you will quit.

17. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Using aids to quit smoking is helpful, but I wouldn't have been succesful if I didn't have the desire and will to quit. I smoked up to 2.5 packs a day for about 20 years, and have been smoke free for about 10+ now. Glad I did, but I still want one occasionally.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Aids or not, it's mostly a mental thing. If you really want to quit, you can.

Smoked for 20 years, quit for 6, smoked for 2, quit for 3, smoked for 1 and quit for my last time in December. I used the patch but the last time I did cold turkey.

19. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Fixed that for you. :p

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Nobody likes a quitter. ;)

21. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Quitting smoking is easy, I've done hundreds of times.

22. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I quite smoking five years ago this month, but I'll bet I had one of the most expensive smoking cessation programs ever. I quit the day I bought an M3. Every time I had the urge to smoke, I went for a drive instead (really!). :D

23. JacobCampbell macrumors newbie

JacobCampbell

Allen Carr's programm help me to stop smoking. It was easy and simply. I don't smoke already 2.5 years