Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markharris

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
there has got to be a middle ground that works for smokers and non smokers-yeah only 28% of the population smoke,but that equates to millions of people,give the landlords freedom to choose,stipulate no smoking in food pubs,make pubs and clubs have extractors of a certain quality,etc.etc.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...give the landlords freedom to choose,stipulate no smoking in food pubs,make pubs and clubs have extractors of a certain quality,etc.etc.
Simply too difficult to control/police. Don't forget the smoking ban is not in place to stop people smoking because they're in a pub/club per se, it's been put in place to stop people smoking primarily in the workplace.

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
I'm with you, Sly.
My husband is a lung doctor. Is practice is more or less divided into people who have asthma and people who have tobacco-related problems. So you might say that smoking keeps me in Macs :eek:. The argument of levying a sin tax as benefiting society seems cynical and immoral.
Anyway, they banned smoking here in Quebec last year. That's Quebec as in French, where real men smoked Gitanes or Gauloise, not your wimpy filtered smokes. My hair and clothes smell better than they did emerging from smoke-filled cafes and clubs.

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
You can go out one night and still wear the same jacket the next day. That is much better.

The clubs, especially, smell much worse now though. I actually quite like the smell when it is not strong although I don't smoke. I suppose it is much better for everyone's health although as far as principles are concerned I'm not sure I am for it.

It is definitely good for me though especially in pubs where the people aren't so sweaty. :p

I still am not sure what to think...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.