Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I'm constantly switching between using my trackpad and my external. My external is just a simple Logitech M225. 3 buttons, wireless, just basic. Is it possible to get the nice fluid scrolling I can get with the trackpad? I don't need momentum, just nice smooth scrolling and not bumping scrolling.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'm constantly switching between using my trackpad and my external. My external is just a simple Logitech M225. 3 buttons, wireless, just basic. Is it possible to get the nice fluid scrolling I can get with the trackpad? I don't need momentum, just nice smooth scrolling and not bumping scrolling.

Sorry, I think you're at the mercy of the mouse driver for you Logitech.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not familiar with that model, but have you tried pressing down on the scroll wheel, like it was a button? I can do that with all my Logitech mice to switch between smooth (freewheel) scrolling and a "notched" scrolling.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I'm not familiar with that model, but have you tried pressing down on the scroll wheel, like it was a button? I can do that with all my Logitech mice to switch between smooth (freewheel) scrolling and a "notched" scrolling.

This isn't quite what the OP is asking. You're referring to whether or not the scroll wheel clicks, but the smoothness of the scroll is the same regardless of ratcheted or ball-bearing mode.

OP, this is likely not possible. The "resolution" of the scroll wheel of your Logitech is not high enough to produce the smoothness of scroll you're looking for. Your trackpad senses scroll movement much more accurately than your mouse.

To illustrate, scroll very slowly with your trackpad, and then scroll very slowly with your mouse. You'll see the page jump after a certain point with the mouse. That will show the difference between what the mouse can see and what the trackpad sees in terms of movement. That's either a hardware limitation or a driver setting. If you can't adjust this behavior with the Logitech drivers (assuming you use them, I know I don't) then you're stuck.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The "resolution" of the scroll wheel of your Logitech is not high enough to produce the smoothness of scroll you're looking for. Your trackpad senses scroll movement much more accurately than your mouse.

To illustrate, scroll very slowly with your trackpad, and then scroll very slowly with your mouse. You'll see the page jump after a certain point with the mouse. That will show the difference between what the mouse can see and what the trackpad sees in terms of movement. That's either a hardware limitation or a driver setting. If you can't adjust this behavior with the Logitech drivers (assuming you use them, I know I don't) then you're stuck.
While this may be true for some mice, I've never seen a difference in accuracy or sensitivity between the trackpad and any mouse I've used. I'm far more accurate with a mouse, and the scrolling, even very slowly, is just as smooth and accurate as the trackpad.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
While this may be true for some mice, I've never seen a difference in accuracy or sensitivity between the trackpad and any mouse I've used. I'm far more accurate with a mouse, and the scrolling, even very slowly, is just as smooth and accurate as the trackpad.

Really? I have a Logitech MX Performance (the current top-end Logitech mouse) and scrolling is far less sensitive than the trackpad. Are you using the Logitech drivers, OS X's drivers, or something else? I'd love to get better scrolling on this...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Really? I have a Logitech MX Performance (the current top-end Logitech mouse) and scrolling is far less sensitive than the trackpad. Are you using the Logitech drivers, OS X's drivers, or something else? I'd love to get better scrolling on this...
I've always used the LCC, first with the VX Nano, now with the Anywhere Mouse MX.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I know many have complained about them, but I've never had a single problem with them, even back then.

Well, after installing the scrolling is much improved, so I'll see about sticking with it. My main issue with the drivers was that my old Logitech mouse would take about 20 seconds to be recognized by the computer after the mouse itself woke from sleep (not computer sleep) with the Logitech drivers, but worked instantly with OS X drivers. That was enough to turn me off to the LCC.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, after installing the scrolling is much improved, so I'll see about sticking with it. My main issue with the drivers was that my old Logitech mouse would take about 20 seconds to be recognized by the computer after the mouse itself woke from sleep (not computer sleep) with the Logitech drivers, but worked instantly with OS X drivers. That was enough to turn me off to the LCC.
Interesting! I've never experienced that. Let me know how it works out after using it for a while.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Interesting! I've never experienced that. Let me know how it works out after using it for a while.

I will in probably 20 minutes or so when I come back to my computer after doing some cleaning around the apartment. Haha, my wife won't feel relaxed on Christmas day unless it is clean (not that I blame her).

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you found some useful information. Looks like installing the Logitech drivers (LCC = Logitech Control Center) might get you what you're looking for.

Hermanart

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
download "Smooth scroll" should be the first webpage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.