Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toezter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
yeah, i am talking about the scroll wheel on the mouse. 2 botton, 1 wheel MS mouse.

perhaps its the mouse? but i can also understand that it may be the OS. apple should do something about that, since everything else on the system is smooth :rolleyes:

plus, using the sidebar is a pain in the arse (for me). i haven't played FPS games in a long time, so its a bit hard to hit the bar at times. 95% of the time its because im laazzy.

Electric Monk

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2005
The quick and dirty fix is to just hit the spacebar and go down 1 page.

As for actually fixing the issue, I'll say that in Omniweb (mouse, arrow keys, scroll bar, spacebar) it looks pretty smooth to me.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
JFreak said:
mac can never feel as snappy as windows. why? mac draws a window once the window is ready to be shown. windows draws a window once it has been asked to do so. therefore windows feels snappier because it doesn't care if there's anything to be show or not and trusts the app will refresh its window at some point, often resulting in white windows that only have a border and no content.

for some reason most of the people don't appreciate quality ;) they want everything fast, even if it were total crap.

The same thing can be said about internet explorer and mozilla firefox but IE is DEFINITELY not quality.

toezter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
Electric Monk said:
The quick and dirty fix is to just hit the spacebar and go down 1 page.

As for actually fixing the issue, I'll say that in Omniweb (mouse, arrow keys, scroll bar, spacebar) it looks pretty smooth to me.

that just doesn't cut it for me.

ok seriously, when i browse the interent (i believe too much). i click the wheel once, then move the mouse up and down, that scrolls long pages VERY smoothly (slow fast slow fast action). if im just rolling the wheel, its smoothe, like i'm actually moving the page with my finger.

now with my mac, its just the opposite. choppy, skipps down the page too fast, ect.

its also personal preference on web browsing. just a bit "annoyed" that OSX is very nice except for this one feature they didn't include.

oh well.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yup i've had that problem forever and just assumed that my 700 mhz G3 iBook was too slow, but now I have the same problem on my 1.25ghz 768mb RAM iBook G4... and that makes me a sad panda...
-Kevin

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
What I've noticed is that scrolling gets smoother as you move your scroll wheel setting to "faster".

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
um...

I think a lot of people are confused as to what the "Smooth Scrolling" option actually does. When you click on the scrolling area, either below or above the scroll bar, the page will show you the content as it is moving to the next page. You can also use the page down/up buttons to see this effect. This has NOTHING to do with using the scroll wheel on your mouse. Just instead of jumping to the next page, it shows you the content as it scrolls to the next page. If you are on a "slow" mac it will actually make scrolling performance of this manner seem choppy and slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.