Smoothing out IS-caused jagged motion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by basse, Jul 20, 2010.

1. basse macrumors member

Hi guys,

reviewing some footage shot yesterday I discovered I'd made a bad mistake forgetting to switch off the IS in my Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS. I've done that before and am 95% sure it's the cause of awful jaggy motion while panning.

I uploaded the file in question here: http://basse.kuvat.fi/kuvat/IS+Motion/MC01_8445.mov (The compressing applied by the gallery makes it look far worse, but if you download the original file below it you'll see it better)

Is there a way to smooth this motion out in Final Cut Pro/Studio? Unfortunately I have no chance to shoot this again...

Thanks!

//basse

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hmmm....it almost looks like a rolling shutter artifact (and it probably is). And FCP's SmoothCam filter doesn't really help situations like that all too much.

I know that VirtualDub (open source freeware) has a filter called "deshaker" that has a preset for rolling shutter (and from what I hear, it works really well), but it's only developed for Windows. So, it would be sort of a clunky workflow.

Aside from that, there are plug-ins available for FCP and After Effects to address this, but none of them are free. One that comes to mind is CoreMelt's Lock & Load X, which is $150.