Smoovie: New Stop Motion App for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by opsGordon, Nov 1, 2011.

1. opsGordon macrumors newbie

opsGordon

Hi all,

I'm really excited to let you know about a new app that I've been working on for quite some time: Smoovie for iPad. It’s the first stop motion app to be designed exclusively for iPad 2 and features simple, fast yet surprisingly powerful editing tools.

[​IMG]

The aspiration for Smoovie is to make it powerful enough for amateur filmmakers while keeping it simple enough for young children, and I believe the iPad is the perfect tool with which to make this a reality!

More info can be found on the website. http://www.openplanetsoftware.com

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the app!

Gordon

2. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Looks great! When I tried to purchase it, I was disappointed to find that it only works on iPad 2 because it can only be used with an internal camera, which my iPad 1 does not have.

It would be great if the next release could use pictures from photos photo-streamed from an iPhone. (Mac version, too.)

I went ahead and bought the Mac version to see how it works. Now I have to go steal my daughter's playdoh. :p

3. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I just gave Smoovie a quick try and it is great! I'm going to get some kids in our technology demo class to try it and see what they can do.

4. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

5. opsGordon thread starter macrumors newbie

opsGordon

Thanks for your interest! For the 1.0 release we focused on the iPad 2 - the built in camera with the onion skinning feature makes capturing frames so quick and easy - and as kids are likely to be using Smoovie, this is really important to us.

We're thrilled with the reception Smoovie has had so far and we'll be listening to all the feedback to help shape the future of the app.

6. Syk macrumors 6502a

I may have to look into this when I get home. It would give me and my son something fun to do.

Question though. Are you guys who have tried it using some sort of holder for the iPad to keep the camera angle the same?

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Good question, I was wondering the same thing!

8. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I've made several "smoovies" demonstrating this app just holding my iPad (actually in one hand, pressing the button with the other). The onion skin feature makes it possible to align the scene between shots and my results were fine. The iPad camera is pretty forgiving.

Having said that, in a classroom or with kids I would set up some kind of stand. In the past I've used stacks of books to hold my iPod to take videos. I'd try the same with the iPad. In a school setting I would try to get some retort stands and clamps from the science lab. The iPad just has to be propped up in a way that won't let it fall over or shift when the child presses the button.

FWIW, "Smoovie" wowed a group of teachers when I showed it on Thursday. They did want to know if it was available on the iPod. :eek: And then they wanted to know if I could get them iPads... :cool:

9. Syk macrumors 6502a

Ok I'll have to think of a way to make a stand just for ease of use. I think I'll buy the app and give it a shot

10. opsGordon thread starter macrumors newbie

opsGordon