SMP client for AMD on Windows?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by spencecb, Jan 30, 2008.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Hey everyone. Just wanted to ask a quick question about F@H.

My boyfriend just got a new HP with a quad core AMD processor. Do any of you know if the SMP client for Vista supports AMD? I've looked through the FAQ, but I can't find any mention of AMD, only Intel and PowerPC.

Any help would be appreciated. And it counts for team 3446, because that is the one we signed up for :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I suspect that the SMP Windows XP/Vista client is going to work just fine on an AMD running Windows Vista.

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

You would think, but when i downloaded that this morning, it kept having an error starting the core. So something isn't working correctly.

I also read somewhere on Stanford's website that some multi-core computers would have to run separate clients for each core. It does not specify if this affects AMD.

Kind of frustrating that they don't give a lot of troubleshooting...If they want people to do this, they need to make it a little more helpful.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

When this happens in OS X I normally delete the "Fah_Core.exe" file and have it download the core again.

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I had this problem with a C2D Dell Desktop at work. It refused to start the cores even after deleting files in that folder. So I don't think that specific issue is related to AMD/Intel

I just gave up on it...if there is a solution I would like to know since the SMP units are worth more ;)

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i never got it to work either. so now i'm helping look for aliens instead

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This is the error I was getting as well under XP.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP

I was able to get past the error using the following instructions in XP as well. I'll get back once I've sent a completed work unit. Seriously, less then a minute in Google. :(

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

cool thx for the workaround

i will try it soon