SMS and jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by apat55, Dec 7, 2008.

1. apat55 macrumors newbie

Do my sms conversations get saved after i jailbreak my iPhone 3g?

not only sms's but do my recent calls and all those kinds of stuff get saved after i jailbreak it?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Jailbreaking is kinda like an add on, it just adds something, nothing get's taken away. ;)

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wrong. If you use pwnage tool where you have to restore your phone you will lose anything that wasn't backed up. Make sure to create a backup through itunes first. But if you use quickpwn there is no restore required, so you won't lose anything through that method.

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Do the following;

1. Connect to iTunes
    2. Right click on your iPhone
    3. Select Backup
    4. When the Backup finishes, click on Restore
    5. Select the 2.2 firmware
    6. Restore - When this finishes, you have an iPhone just like the day you bought it.
    7. Jailbreak (I used QuickPwn 2.2
    8. Restore from Backup taken in Step 3

Everything will come back with the Restore.

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yeah, I should've said that I meant QuickPwn. :rolleyes:

Edit: Whatever you do, backup your phone.

7. apat55 thread starter macrumors newbie

so after i jailbreak it, i wont have any of my recent calls or saved sms's? unless i restore it?....im confused haha

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Correct. What's your problem with restoring it?

9. bradenwh macrumors 6502

No. If you use QuickPwn, nothing, NOTHING, gets erased. Your phone will be exactly like it was before, only jailbroken.
    If you use PwnageTool, you create a custom firmware that is jailbroken, and you restore to it. Your data would be erased then.

If you just want to jailbreak, use QuickPwn.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I think part of the confusion is people aren't sure what happens once you jailbreak and Apple comes out with a firmware upgrade. If I use QuickPwn to jailbreak, I now have a jailbroken phone and all of my info and settings are intact; however, what happens next is a bit confusing. If Apple comes out with firmware 2.3 tomorrow, what do we do next and what happens to our info, settings, itunes apps. etc? Do we upgrade to Apple's 2.3 first? If so, do we lose anything (other than the jailbreak) in the process? Once the 2.3 jailbreak is out, do we just use QuickPwn again or is there something else that needs to be done? I know there's a restore that needs to be done in there somewhere so that you don't lose the 500MB or whatever partition that QuickPwn creates but there doesn't seem to be a clear "step-by-step" anywhere that explains how to handles updates after the initial jailbreak.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You just dont upgrade to the next version until that has been jailbroken, simple.

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If that's the case, what's the best procedure to upgrade to the 2.3 jailbreak without losing anything? I assume you can't just QuickPwn right over the 2.2 jailbreak.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well know when 2.3 is jailbroken, its something no one at this point can tell you. Apple may change some things so a new method will have to be found,. the point is that you can jailbreak NOW and wait for the next one to be jailbroken before updating.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I understand that but assuming that nothing really changes, what is the proper procedure to upgrade from one jailbreak version to the next without losing your info, settings, itunes apps, partition, etc?

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Read my post.

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Gotcha. So basically you can just follow that same exact procedure when 2.3 comes out, right?

17. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Yes.

18. kevhui macrumors regular

Confused - Jailbreak vs Unlock, and QuickPwn vs Pwnage

Hi,

What are the differences? Are they related to the "version" of phone e.g. US vs non-US phones?

If I have a SIM-locked phone, I think I need to JB and unlock the phone; while for non-SIM lock phone, only JB is needed?

Which tool can keep my iphone contents intact?

Thanks.

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If you want to keep all files that are on the phone, just JB with QuickPwn. Make sure you do not update to 2.2.1, but just stay on 2.2 with the 02.28.00 Modem Firmware (baseband). Then, once you've jailbroken you will have Cydia. Go to the Dev Teams blog, they have the source for yellowsn0w. Add that source, then install yellowsn0w. Your phone is now unlocked! :D Just do not update to 2.2.1

20. kevhui macrumors regular

Thanks. I just JB and unlock using QuickPwn for Mac.

But my modem firware is 04.05.04_G, how come?

Also, if now I backup using iTune, then later JB again (because for some reasons my iPhone could not be recognised, so I have to JB again), would the restore preserve my other stuff (e.g. patches I installed by Cydia)?

Thanks again.

21. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Oh, do you have a 2G? If so, you're baseband doesn't matter, and you don't need yellowsn0w either. QuickPwn let's you unlock the phone if it's a 2G. You will also be fine to upgrade to 2.2.1 but you will have to wait for the next JB to come out! :D

22. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Same here. I was shocked. I had saved all things thinking I was going to lose it.