SMS And Websites

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SChaput, Sep 29, 2010.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

Hello All,

Currently I am designing a web tool for my university that grabs the menu of the dining hall for that day, it then breaks the menu apart into breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then it cycles through a mysql database and texts people the menu they signed up for, at certain times of the day.

Currently, I'm using the cellphone numbers email address as the way to text the phones, for example, 1234567890@att.txt.net, varies for different carriers obviously. However, when the text message comes through it has the following format,
    Is there a way that I can remove the FRM and SUBJ fields from this text message? I'm with with the MSG field but I could really do without the other two.

Thanks for your help.

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

There are some services that provide APIs for sending SMS directly to phones -- i.e. not as email. Look up Twilio and Tropo for some examples.

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

If you're using a true SMS (not email) API, there is no subject field.

5. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have discovered that leaving the subject field blank makes it disappear in the text message. So now I have the FRM: and the MSG: fields.

On another note i'm trying to change the FRM field from the default bluehost email, "username@boxXXX.bluehost.net" to an email account that I have on my server. However, when I manipulate the headers the way I want, it still tells me the email is from the @boxXXX address. Is this something I need to configure in the php code, or on the mail side? Here is the code I'm using:

Code:
    <?php
    $headers = "From: myemail@email.com\r\n";
    mail("**************", "", "message", $headers);
    ?>

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Please read again. I am suggesting services that will send an SMS directly, not via email, so that it appears the way it would if it were sent from a phone.

7. KimKnox macrumors newbie

Free sms api

Try zeepmobile.com they have a free api for sending sms, but with ads in the sms. And if you don't want ads, you must pay.