SMS app variation in the shade of green

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sunking101, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If I view part of an SMS convo in the middle of my iPhone5 screen, the shade of green is an awful snot colour with dreadfully bright white text contained within it but if I view the lower third of the screen then the shade of green is much darker and the white text is less bright. Overall, the SMS app looks *much* nicer in the lower third of the screen and terrible in the middle. Is this normal or is my iPhone5 screen defective?

2. SMIDG3T, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yes, it's normal. If you notice the shade of green, let's say, half way down the screen and then scroll down so that same bit of text is at the bottom of the screen you'll see it's a darker shade. It's the same with iMessage too with the blue shading.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I never noticed this with the iOS6 SMS app. The green and white colours don't seem to suit the hardware. The method of screen illumination is very much more noticeable with these new colours. I really don't mind the darker green but when in the middle of the screen it goes horrible and bright. I never use iMessage so can't comment but did use it occasionally with iOS6 and again had no problems.

4. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Ah. On iOS 6, I'm not sure. Sorry. I presumed you were on iOS 7, I shouldn't presume! With iOS 6, I can't remember if shading was used in Messages.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

SMS and iMessages both fade to a lighter color as you get closer to the top of the screen on iOS 7.

iOS 6 did not do this.

6. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

That's what I'm saying. I just feel that with the colours used in iOS7, this feature makes the higher up SMS look washed out and quite horrid to look at.

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I wouldn't say a horrid to look at. It's all about bringing the newest content more into focus - hence the brighter colours. I find the bubbles far more appealing than the iOS 6 glossy versions.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nothing new really, plenty of people who don't like color and other choices in iOS 7 (as there are plenty who don't really care, and even a few who like it all).

9. kolax macrumors G3

10. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I just wondered why the bubbles changed colour depending where they were on the screen. I like the darker version at the bottom but the luminous green with bright white text further up looks nasty IMO.

11. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Is it designed to do this with software, or is it that the hardware which illuminates the screen is more noticeable with this new colourscheme? If the former then I don't understand why and if the latter then it seems shoddy.

12. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

It is the software. I haven't noticed this gradient anywhere else. While it doesn't bother me that much, I'm not a big fan of it. It looks worse in the green color of SMS than it does in the blue of iMessages though, IMO

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's part of the iOS 7 design. As to why...that's a question for Apple.

14. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

On my old iPhone 4 which my dad now uses, the SMS app doesn't look bad at all. The blue tinted whites on the i4 screen make the green SMS bubbles much darker but on my iPhone 5 the SMS bubbles in the middle of the screen look awfully and artificially bright. The iPhone 5 screen (or certainly mine) has a less appealing take on the iOS7 colourscheme and nowhere is this more apparent than in the SMS app. Sure iMessages look ok but in the UK we predominantly use SMS.

15. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yes, my gf has my old iphone 4 and I actually prefer the more muted colours on hers. The neon green in the top half of messages is terrible on iphone 5. It has contrast issues, it's harder to read. The blue on iMessages is ok.