Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mom24md

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
help

I need an easy sms backup to an email system to show others on paper the crazy,stalking texts i am getting from my x. Easy to do with my old blackberry, but way too complicated with i phone. why hasn't apple done something about this over the last 2 years-for free. i will probably go to the Android soon.

BJToile

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Easy as pie

On jailbroken phone...&why wouldn't your iPhone be jailbroken?

Search out Messages2PDF on Cydia...very simple program to use

suggs

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Just switched to an iPhone 5 from an ageing android. The SMS backup was great and I'm quite shocked there is no equivalent on the supposedly superior app store. :(

njack21

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Sure is shiny

Completely lacks simple functionality, but the iPhone really is shiny.

Simple use case such as backing up SMS with a non-Apple cloud solution, like email, but Apple is so arrogant, they think the sheeple that buy these expensive phones don't need/want such a thing. The nice thing about an app like SMS backup for Android, is I can move to an iShiny and not lose my SMS messages. If I move from my iShiny to *gasp* another platform, I lose everything.

This is how Apple originally shot themselves in the foot and lost the PC war to Microsoft. It may take a few years, but history is bound to repeat itself in the mobile phone market. Android already crushes iPhones market share globally.

irha

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Maybe people who have never used the app before just don't realize what they've been missing.
This is exactly the case with me. Until I found this app, I didn't know what I was missing. The convenience of being able to search on gmail is unbeatable. When there was a time I had to switch frequently between multiple Android handsets, this was a life saver to merge all the SMS's into one place and restore the most recent messages on to the latest android I would use. Now wife wants to try using my 2.5yr old iPhone4 lying around and the first thing that came to mind is this functionality that she would loose.

CobelAli

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
DO NOT USE NERDYHEARN.COM

The trial version worked so I shelled out the $10, but the activated program would not work. I spend hours sending debug.txt files to him and he couldn't figure out why the mail server was dropping the connection.

In the newest version, he claims to have fixed the problem, but wants another $10. I tried to explain that we were unable to use the old version, but he wants his money.

This is a very expensive app for IOS and I tried to support his one-man operation, but he needs to take a course in customer service.

I've been using this alternative and so far it's working great and it's free. If in the future he wants to charge money, I'll gladly pay him for a product that actually works.

http://www.iphone-sms.com/

DON'T USE THIS. It didn't work and the "owner" of nerdy hearn's advice was to throw away my $10, uninstall the application and go away. Unprofessional.

itsrobbsy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013

The trial version worked so I shelled out the $10, but the activated program would not work. I spend hours sending debug.txt files to him and he couldn't figure out why the mail server was dropping the connection.

In the newest version, he claims to have fixed the problem, but wants another $10. I tried to explain that we were unable to use the old version, but he wants his money.

This is a very expensive app for IOS and I tried to support his one-man operation, but he needs to take a course in customer service.

I've been using this alternative and so far it's working great and it's free. If in the future he wants to charge money, I'll gladly pay him for a product that actually works.

is this alternative still the best option?

tash28

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
i found Copytrans trial version exported to mail all phone contacts and texts, notes etc had to like and follow on twitter is all, worked good just did it

revaaron

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
FYI: that debug file he wants contains an exact copy of every single SMS that you sent so he will get to see "want to join me in the shower" messages from the ladies... and the fellas...

so "support" forwarded the email to "the owner" all the same guy
here is part of my last emails to him that dude

The team has been keeping me in the loop on your issue and they have been trying very hard to help you out. I have never seen them so frustrated with a customer. Quite frankly your lack of understanding and constant barading of the team is not needed nor welcome.
[sic]
I also find it comical that you're complaining about cost. Do you realize our team's work researching your issue has cost over $1,000?

We have over 1,000 customers and all I ever hear is how responsive and helpful our support team is.

Please uninstall our application as we do not need your continued negative responses with no gratefulness whatsoever. In this case, the customer is not always right.

Regards,
Tom

and then I replied offering some answers as to what the problem was, with my job, and maybe he should send me the files to me to fix it myself.

If you've dealt with customer bugs for 16 years then you should certainly understand that the team has been working with you, as quickly as possible.

With 16 years of software experience perhaps you should write the software yourself?

FYI none of our customers are having issue with their messages, they don't need to review the debug log as the program halts if the message doesn't get added, something you should understand by now.

FYI within a week, he posted another fix that I was able to trick into running once and it fixed the exact issue I was having.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
I miss this app from Android as well. I wish it was for iOS too.

The reason for backing up SMS is quite simple for me: I change the phone say from iPhone 5s to 6 and I have to disregard all previous messages, unless I do the restore. There is no way to simply sync all text messages if you are using two different iOS phones at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.