SMS Broken after 2.1 update!! 3 phones confirmed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rubdom, Sep 14, 2008.

1. rubdom macrumors member

SMS is broken after updating to 2.1. I have also confirmed this on 3 of my co-workers phones. I didn't notice it until I received a few calls from people saying that I didn't respond to text messages. I have tried texting from several different carriers and I don't receive them and when I text to any phones they don't go through. My co-workers have also confirmed this. Restore does NOT help. What should I do? I need text messaging to work.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't seen this in my phone. Not sure what to tell you.

3. Brandonsc macrumors member

4. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Mine is fine too. Maybe you should take the "confirmed" part out of the thread title? :rolleyes:

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

7. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I don't think this is an issue with 2.1 since this has happened to me with 2.0 also. It's just random, so I haven't found a solution for it.

8. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Maybe it's data services in your area?

It's definitely not a 2.1. Nothing but improvement in the sms app.

9. Linuss macrumors regular

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Mine works but I've noticed that sometimes when I'm in a conversation and I get a new message from that person I don't see it unless I go back out to the list. Only happens sometimes.

Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread.

11. greggov macrumors member

i think this has happened to me too. I sent several SMS last night, and thought it rather strange that in 12 hours, I got no responses. I spoke to these people this morning, and they said they never got a message.

It appears to be working this morning. Maybe a network thing?

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I just sent one to myself, and I happily received it.

13. chrisparr macrumors regular

As you say, this could be network and that's where I'd put my money.

Many people forget SMS is a connectionless protocol. You essentially send it and hope it gets there. It usually does, but its not guaranteed.

14. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I was at dinner with a friend last night, when about 45 minutes into our meal I got a text message. It was from that same friend, saying "I'm running a few minutes late -- see you at the restaurant!" -- LOL. ;)

I haven't gotten confirmation of completely missing texts, but I've had LATE texts like the example above ever since owning a cell phone. (The worst case was receiving a text three days later).

15. mBox macrumors 68020

The usage of my phone is 10 to 1 as far as SMS/phone goes :) All is well here ;)

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Call your carrier.

17. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Confirmed by who? You? Oh ok.

I've had no problems with SMS, nor has anyone else here apparently.

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

FAIL!

I have texting with my iPhone 1st gen. since 2.1 without problems.
    My buddy has the iPhone 3G on 2.1 also no problems.

I say restore or its a network issue. In the past I had problems with my txts being delayed by 4-8 hours.

19. svndmvn Guest

my iPhone tells me there's an unread text message,I canceled all conversations but one,because i need it,restored the phone and all but the problems persists,is there anything else i can do to eliminate that text?

20. rubdom thread starter macrumors member

It may be the network (live in San Antonio TX which is 4 hours from Houston and hurricane IKE destruction) but it is a big coincidence that it stopped working right after we upgraded to 2.1. Restores don't help and ATT says everything is fine. May be time to go to the Apple store.

21. pinoy4065 macrumors newbie

rubdon im having the same problems.. its very frustrating. Any new news with you? are you still having the same problems?

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

In my area, SMS between AT&T and Verizon can be very delayed. I don't know if it's AT&T or Verizon's problem, but it sucks.

23. iblastoff macrumors 6502

obviously its not a problem with 2.1 but your phone/service.

24. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

change a rate plan or anything recently? probably not provisioned on the acct correctly, jus go into a store or call cust service and have them reset it.

25. rubdom thread starter macrumors member

After talking with ATT support and being transferred to Apple support then going to the apple store then getting back on the phone with ATT who again transferred me to apple they finally noticed that text messaging was missing from my account so they transferred me back to ATT who said it was removed when the number port was completed. So I had text messaging for 2 weeks then the system removed it when the number port was complete. ATT would not add it back without talking to the person that the account was under (I have a work issued phone) so I had to wait another 2 days to have our corporate admin add text messaging even though it was ATT's fault in the first place.

I hope this helps! Good luck.