Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Is there a way to change the color of the SMS bubbles on my end? I'm not partial to the sickly green.

Yea jailbreak and download the app called winterboard. Then download themes that customize SMS bubbles.

There's a slight risk with the whole process of jailbreaking, but usually its reversible.

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Yea jailbreak and download the app called winterboard. Then download themes that customize SMS bubbles.

There's a slight risk with the whole process of jailbreaking, but usually its reversible.

There is no risk from what I have experienced. You can always do a restore.

Super Intendo

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
How long until apple gives us this functionality? I seriously don't understand why they're so afraid of customization with the iphone.

I can change the color of the bubbles in iChat on my Mac, why not on my iPhone?

I can change my wallpaper on my Mac, why not on my iPhone?

I can change my icons on my Mac, why not my iPhone?

Its just such a basic thing to implement, there's no reason it shouldn't have been by now.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
How long until apple gives us this functionality? I seriously don't understand why they're so afraid of customization with the iphone.

I can change the color of the bubbles in iChat on my Mac, why not on my iPhone?

I can change my wallpaper on my Mac, why not on my iPhone?

I can change my icons on my Mac, why not my iPhone?

Its just such a basic thing to implement, there's no reason it shouldn't have been by now.

Such is the main reason I JB my phone. It is dumb imo that you can't customize jack all on the phone aside from the lockscreen wallpaper.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Such is the main reason I JB my phone. It is dumb imo that you can't customize jack all on the phone aside from the lockscreen wallpaper.

I agree.... This is one of the only reasons I j/b my phone. I want the custom icon's, colors and springboard screen. :(

I have asked in a couple of the threads about this along with other custom features. So far it is a no go.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Yeah some added colors would be nice... I always like a lot of options... though I tend never to use the options once I have them available :rolleyes:

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, the green is getting really old. Let's hope we get some ability to customize in a future update.

rarity

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Florida
I was able to change my sms bubbles on 2.2.1 using SSH. I basically changed the balloon_1.png and 2 files into my mobilesms application.

I just tried this on 3.0 and it's not working. Anyone get it to work successfully?

rarity

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Florida
Just downloaded one of the sms apps in cydia and it doesn't seem to take effect when I make it active in winterboard. WTF?

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Just downloaded one of the sms apps in cydia and it doesn't seem to take effect when I make it active in winterboard. WTF?

Google "sms themes" or something like that, I saw a thread somewhere that someone had a few steps how to fix it (for 3.0) via SSH.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
It would be nice to be able to change the colors for certain applications, maybe using some sort of theme-based system across all the entire phone which I would imagine wouldn’t be that hard to implement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.