SMS bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mlrollin91, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with receiving a text message at the same exact time of hitting the home button while the phone screen is off.

Basically while my iPhone is on standby I hit the home button at just about the same time that a text message is coming in and it freezes. I have to then do a reset by holding down the home and lock button at the same time.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem?

2. kylecib123 macrumors newbie

i haven't had this problem. It does drive me crazy though when you get a text while on a call and you have to give attention to the "new sms notifier window" before you can end a call

3. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah I must agree with that too, it does get quite annoying and as much as it happens, you tend to always try to click end call first. I never seem to learn haha

4. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

do you mean the iphone "freezes" and the screen is still off? I've had that problem. I can't turn it back on without hard resetting. I've seen some other people here with a similar problem but only with jailbroken phones, which mine is not.

5. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah thats the problem I am having, my phone is not jailbroken. I've had it for a few weeks and it only seemed to start happening after 2.2 but I updated 2.2 after 3 days so I cant really say for sure or not..

6. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

I had that same problem happen to me the other day. My phone isn't jailbroken. Now my battery drains faster than before.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I haven't had anything like that. I text a lot too. The thing i have is worse, when you either send a text and it doesn't send, or someone sends you one and I never get it. Good way to end a conversation.. :(

It's at the most random times too.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i have had an issue where i was trying to send a new text message to someone at the same time as they sent me one, and they appeared twice in my inbox (the messages would not consolidate)

just an interesting little bug that would be difficult if not impossible to replicate

9. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah.. Its starting to get very annoying as it just happened right now and it happened a total of 3 times yesterday. You think it would be very rare to hit the home button at the same exact time as a text coming in but I text hundreds of messages a day and it just happens..

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This has happened to me as well. Pretty frustrating.

However, I think the diagnosis here may be wrong. When it happened to me, I figured it was the phone failing to give me the alert until I woke it up by hitting the home button. I can't remember if my phone was jailbroken when this happened.

The idea that you're hitting the button at the exact time the message comes in multiple times a day seems kind of unrealistic IMO.

11. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

ive not had that, i just get the keyboard to slide to the top and not let me do anything.

12. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah that is what I was thinking too, but I am always waking up my phone to check for text messages and it just happens to be when I'm receiving a new message but yeah it could also be the failing of the alert. Either way it gets kinda annoying resetting my phone a few times a day. Especially when I am trying to see exactly how long my battery will last on a full day of texting and once you restart it, it clears the usage amount..

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Uncommon though it may be, it's still a bug. Have you reported it via radar? If not, do so. I know for a fact that Apple's iPhone team takes bug reports _very_ seriously, especially if they're bugs that result in stability issues.

14. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How do I report it?

15. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

16. Mlrollin91 thread starter macrumors G4

Mlrollin91