SMS cannot be delivered

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by btsvchris, Feb 22, 2014.

1. btsvchris macrumors member

Hello,
    I have got a small problem.
    Since a few months I cannot send an SMS to a specific friend. I always get the error, that the message could not be delivered. Apparently I can receive SMS from the same phone. I am not in a black list or anything.
    Soft reset did not change anything.
    The device is the iPhone 5S.
    Thanks for any help!

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There is an iOS 7 bug where messages are not delivered and you must tap to "resend" them. Not knowing what version you're on it might be that.

3. btsvchris thread starter macrumors member

Resend still does not work. Happened from 7.0 up to 7.0.6

4. joudbren macrumors regular

I just went through an SMS bug that seemed to happen after I did the 7.0.6 update on my 5s. I couldn't receive any SMS messages on my phone. I spent an hour on the phone with Apple and was able to fix it.

We checked under Settings, Messages, and then "Send and Receive". It showed two email addresses that had check marks but my cell phone number was not checked.

We turned off iMessage under Messages in Settings and then did a power down and re-boot of the phone. Once rebooted we turned iMessage back on and voila, my phone number now had a check mark and people are able to text (SMS) directly to my phone number again.

Not sure if you have the same issue or if your friend does but worth checking out. Cheers!

5. LJ50 macrumors member

Let me ask, what format is the number saved in your contacts in?

I discovered after much frustration that the iPhone doesn't handle UK numbers with the +44 prefix and the opening 0 of the STD code. Until I had that realisation I had certain people who I just couldn't understand why I couldn't sent SMS to, but could receive from.

Might be worth checking.