SMS 'crashed'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eVolcre, Sep 17, 2008.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Weird problem here. I received some sort of message that crashed the SMS application on my unlocked 1.0.2 *

Now everytime I touch 'SMS' it goes to the SMS screen and then goes right back to the main homepage. Same thing with trying to write one from my contacts, it thinks, flashes and goes back to the home-page.

I can see the number of message in my inbox on the homepage on the SMS button. I can receive messages and it shows me the preview but I can't seem to get into the actual application.

Any way to reset the phone or fix this without doing a full restore etc. because I'd be worried about doing something wrong and not having it work anymore. I'm working in a remote location and would be SOL if my phone stopped working.

eV

* I know, I know - need to upgrade it but don't have a fast connection to download the file.

2. maxxscholten macrumors regular

You could try simply rebooting the phone -- press down the 'hold' button for a couple of seconds into a "slide to turn off" options comes up from the top. Then once the phone is off, pressing the same 'hold' button will turn it back on.

Also, you can try a hard reset if that doesn't work -- press down the 'hold' button and the 'home' button at the same time for a couple of seconds until the phone turns off and eventually the Apple logo comes on. The phone should boot back up after that.

Try those two options and see if that helps.

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Didn't work. Tried both techniques multiple times. Rebooting and a hard reset didn't fix it. :-(

eV

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

A follow up question (I'm on dialup in the field and my search/google capabilities are limited)

If I do a clean install and then a migration assistant from my cloned drive, do I have to reinstall any application? iWork, iLife, MS Office etc. This would be a deal killer because I don't have any of the install discs with me at the moment.

Thanks - eV