Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
You know the sound the phone makes when you send an SMS? The little "boop" sound (haha). I like it because when I am texting from apps like tlert or biteSMS, it verifies that the text was sent. This is useful for me in areas where I have poor service as a verification. Why do I need this? Because I have often sent a text, then gone back hours later to see that it never sent. This is due to a combination of poor service in certain areas and the fact that I usually keep the ringer switch set to vibrate.

I searched a long time trying to find something that would make my phone vibrate when the message was sent, but couldn't find anything, so I went into the files and figured it myself.

I did this all in iFile, because it was way easier then through SSH - but you can do either one.

1.) open iFile/SSH into your phone.
2.) Go to System>Library>PrivateFrameworks>Celestial.Framework and open the file "SystemSoundBehaviors.plist"
3.)* Scroll down to:

<key>SMSSent</key>
<dict>
<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOff</key>
<array/>
<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOn</key>
<array>
<string>Beep</string>
</array>
</dict>

You will want to change this to:

<key>SMSSent</key>
<dict>
<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOff</key>
<array>
<string>Vibrate</string>
</array>
<key>RingVibrateIgnore,SilentVibrateIgnore,RingerSwitchOn</key>
<array>
<string>Beep</string>
</array>
</dict>

4.) Save the file, and reboot your phone.
5.) It may not work right away; it actually took a day or two to take affect on my phone, but is working now. It a nice verification system.

There are all other sorts of sound behaviors that you look at it in there, such as when you flip the ringer switch (whether it vibrates or not).

There are multiple settings for each action. Look at the keys: Ring or Vibrate? Or ignore? Silent or Vibrate? Or ignore. Is the ringer switch on or off? Or ignore?

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Now does this vibrate when the message is sent or when the message is received by the receiver?

When the message is sent. Dunno if it would be possible to do the latter. (I wouldn't be able to figure that out haha).

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hummm.... :rolleyes:

Not happening yet, perhaps someday in the future SMS will send a "ping" of some type back to let the sender know the message has been delivered or even displayed.

IIRC verizon phones do this? But only to other verizon numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.