sms delivery reports

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brisweeney, Jul 30, 2008.

1. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

any one else really annoyed that there are no delivery reports on the iPhone 3g/2.0 firmware.

does anyone know if it is possible to implement this by a software upgrade? and if it is planned to do so?

2. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Prior to the iPhone, I had an LG phone on Verizon, and I frequently looked at the delivery indicator of my sent messages, but now that I'm on AT&T, and most of my friends are on Verizon, the delivery indicator wouldn't work anyway, because it only works if you're txting someone on the same carrier. Besides, I've never sent a message from my iPhone that failed to be delivered.

3. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, WTF Apple? How hard is this to implement?

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

This isn't true... I have been a longtime AT&T customer and my old Nokia was able to send me delivery reports regardless of the recipients carrier. I got notifications when I sent messages to T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I'm planning to buy the new iPhone 3GS but I've just discovered that iPhones dont have a SMS delivery report ??!! Even if there are workarounds, I can't believe that Apple didn't add this feature. Do you see reason not to add this feature ?

Tex

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I've had a cell phone for 8 years and have never heard of an "SMS delivery report." Anyone care to enlighten?

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

When you send a SMS you are alerted when it was delivered to the phone of the recipient. Very handy to know if people got your sms.

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That sounds like it would be the most annoying thing in the world.
    I think I'd rather stick to just assuming they got it.

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Why ?? I've always used this on all of my phones I had.

10. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I've never had a text that was sent ever not get delivered. I'm not sure if this would serve that much purpose. Also, you consider that every phone would have to send a confimation to the sender. But who's to say the confirmation goes through. Even with small messages like that, when you add it up to the millions of users on AT&T, you are really eating up a lot of bandwidth.

11. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Well it is useful when the recipient has his phone switched off. You get the delivery report when he switches it on and you know that he received it.

I don't think so a bandwidth can be a problem.

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You have to consider that tons of people send dozens or hundreds of text messages per day. Getting an alert when the text is received would be nothing but a huge inconvenience for all of those people.
    And the only time anybody turns their phone off nowadays is on an airplane. If you need to hear back from someone urgently enough to know whether it took them 3 seconds or 3 minutes to get your text, you should probably just call them.

13. jalpert macrumors 6502

Doesn't a little red exclamation point appear if that text doesn't go through?

14. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Well usually on phones you can disable this feature .. and it is by default disabled.

15. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i think i know what these people are talking about. i remember on my verizon phone if i sent a message to another verizon phone it would have a check mark next to the message icon when the person actually got it. it was nice. all these people complaining about it being annoying, i think you are assuming it alerted you or something. it doesnt pop up, it is just there if you want to check it

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I guess that is less annoying, but I still just don't see the need for it. I've never had any controversy over someone not receiving a text I sent, and I often send dozens per day. A much more useful feature would be an alert when a person DOESN'T get your message.

17. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

SMS delivery reports are available in the UK if you are using an O2 sim card. Very useful free function, I was picking someone up from the airport the other day and by using this function I knew as soon as they had switched on their phone as I got the delivery report so knew they had landed.

18. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

hmm well this discussion surprises me. I thought this was a widely used feature. As I said, I used it on all the phones I've had and it always worked good.

I think this is different i.e when the sending fails.

I'm talking about when a message is "pending" and waiting to be delivered. In other words, everything is technically ok and I just want to know when the sms actually reaches the phone.

T.

19. kevsel macrumors newbie

re SMS delivery report

if you type *0# before each message you will get a delivery report

20. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil