SMS Dissapearing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikehockenballs, Jul 30, 2009.

1. mikehockenballs macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded my first gen iphone to 3.0 but not used it for about two weeks. My Mrs phone has broken and she wants to use my iphone until she can get a new one. So I started to set it up so that she could use it with her Orange Pay As You Go sim card. The iphone is unlocked and jalbroken using redsnow.
    However when I come to send a text message it will send as normal, but when i go back in to the SMS program there are no sent messages. When I replied to the text that she sent to my phone the iphone received it but after viewing it and closing the SMS app and then reopening the app the message and reply had dissapeared?

So I decided to install a 3rd party SMS app called SMSTools via cydia and it installed fine. But after doing exactly the same test as before the message dissapears from the inbox and sent items box of SMSTools.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get the original SMS app working properly and saving the text messages?

Cheers!

:(

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

This is guaranteed to work:

restore and don't jailbreak.

3. mikehockenballs thread starter macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Thanks for your reply!

Im just wondering if it would be worthwhile upgrading to 3.1 to get the same results?

If I dont jailbreak after upgrading that is?

Cheers!

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Whilst that may aid the situation, it might not solve it. You can try if you want to though.

5. mikehockenballs thread starter macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Ok I tried to restore back to 3.0 because 3.1 isnt available yet for my first gen iphone as per itunes.

But now after a restore I get an error message stating that not all of the summary details can be read and that I should restore it, which I have done 3times now and Im goin round in circles lol.

Maybe I will have to jailbreak it again using Redsnow?
    Because at the moment it can not be used at all.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I am running 3.1 on my original iPhone, however, I can only do so as I am a developer.

Can you elaborate on the error message, a screen shot maybe helpful at such point.

7. mikehockenballs thread starter macrumors member

mikehockenballs

I just restored it again and here is exactly what it says in the error message that I get:-

'iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "iPhone". Go to the summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.'

Sorry but I cant post a screen shot.

When I restore it again I get the same message and thats why I am going round in circles lol.

8. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

turn off the iPhone completely and unplug it from the computer. hold down the home button and connect the iPhone while holding the home button. continue to do so until iTunes recognizes the Phone in DFU mode. after that restore the phone

9. mikehockenballs thread starter macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Thanks for your advice 007bond, but I get exactly the same message after trying to restore it twice. It just shows the usb connection to itunes screen and can only be used for emergency calls now.

This is so annoying now cos I had everything working fine before except for the sms software was not saving text messages ffs!

Any other ideas anyone?

10. mikehockenballs thread starter macrumors member

mikehockenballs

I still havent had any luck with this, anyone else got any ideas for me please?