SMS/email vibrate in ear while on call after 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iErick, Nov 23, 2010.

1. iErick macrumors member

This is getting pretty annoying.

Ever since updating to 4.2.1, when I am on a call and have the phone held up to my ear...the phone vibrates for SMS notifications and such.

This occurs if the phone is on the silent setting and when the phone is set to ring and vibrate.

This is happening on my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4. For the time being, I shut off the vibrate with ring setting.

I restored and tested it before restoring from backup. It still happened with a clean OS install. I then downloaded a new copy of 4.2.1 and it is still doing it.

Anybody else notice this wonderful buzzing in your ear?

2. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

It was one of the most requested features on the shift from iphone 3gs to iphone 4

3. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

i dont know why this is bad? I would always flip the silent switch on when im on a call, because the person im talking to can hear when i get a text. very annoying.

4. iErick thread starter macrumors member

I like the tone in my ear. The phone is actually vibrating when I get a text.

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

It's supposed to.

6. iErick thread starter macrumors member

Well neither iphone has done this before 4.2.1 when on a call. It is vibrating for notifications while the phone is held up to my ear and on a call.

7. iErick thread starter macrumors member

anybody else have this happening since upgrading to 4.2.1?

8. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

this happened to me before 4.2.1. I would prefer the vibration over the sounds while i'm in a call but it's never REALLY bothered me before.

I can remember this happening before 4.0, in the 3.0 days.

9. ATC macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't recall having this happen prior to 4.2 but I certainly notice it now and yes it's a bit annoying.

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

My phone has always made the tone & vibrated if I received a notification while I"m on a call. As far back as I can remember, since at least 3.x, its always done that.
    I actually prefer it that way.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

My phone has always made the tone & vibrated if I received a notification while I"m on a call. As far back as I can remember, since at least 3.x, its always done that.
    I actually prefer it that way.

Might it be that before you had your phones set to a certain setting, but the upgrade to 4.2.1 set it back to default? That seems the most logical explanation to me.

12. shandyman Suspended

it's always done it.

is this a genuine thread? theres another thread compaining about the noise that is made when an SMS is sent, which the iphone has always done, but the OP in that claimed it never did and is new. Either people genuinely have never noticed, or people have run out of things to complain about and making stuff up....

13. beeswaxx macrumors newbie

Before 4.2.1 mine made a noise in my ear when I received some notification while on a call. I am 90% sure it did not vibrate in addition to the noise.

Now, it vibrates in my ear. I found it very surprising when it first happened, kind of like there suddenly being a bee in your ear. I would love to find out how to have it just make a noise, no vibrating.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I think mine has always had the sound + the vibration.

15. Stein357 macrumors 6502

16. iErick thread starter macrumors member

Yes, this is a genuine thread. I get sms/email all the time while on the phone. my phone has never done this until the 4.2.1 update. same thing with my wife's phone.

17. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Never done it to me until 4.2.1 either. It bugs the hell out of me because I assume something went astray with the actual phone call I'm on. A tone is sufficient...not the vibrating as well...annoying!

Cosmo

18. jprance macrumors newbie

Yes! Me too

YES.... Me too, iErick... I'm going nuts about this. Never realized how much it used to annoy me until it started happening again. Your forum post is the only thing I've found that has validated what I thought to be true... ever since the 4.2.1 update.

Have you found anything else out? I'm trying to NOT have to call tech support, since I'm sure they'll just ask me to wipe the phone and start over.

19. Anawrahta macrumors member

Count me in the camp that finds the vibrate while on call friggin annoying. Please tell me there's a work around, or even better, please tell me there's an option somewhere to switch it back.

Even when my phone isn't on silent/vibrate mode, it still does it which is incredibly stupid.

And previous to 4.2.1 I had the tone during call.

20. keen-on-mac-1 macrumors member

keen-on-mac-1