SMS feature suggestion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by renewed, Jul 1, 2009.

?

Would this feature be something you would be interested in seeing?

1. Yes, definitely.

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. No, this isn't really a big deal to me.

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. They should remove the SMS app altogether.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I suggested this to Apple. When sending multiple texts to multiple contacts you have to push the + icon button and add each individually, taking up a lot of time. If you could press the + icon and then select multiple at once, like when you go to delete a text from a conversation or when selecting multiple emails, it would be a lot easier.

Would you like this new feature?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I would say No because then you would have to hit the back button a bunch of times to clear the search field and then type a new name in. This would take longer then just hitting the plus symbol and then start typing again. Maybe this would be quicker if you are trying to send a text to 2 people with the same first name?

3. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I think what he's getting at is a feature so that we don't have to use the search field at all. Tap on the plus and your contact list pops up. Tap multiple names so select more than one and tap done. Everyone gets added with having to search for them one at a time.

Seems like a good thing to add for me. More features is a good thing!

4. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

No I mean select multiple at once. Example when you want to delete texts out of a conversation, little bubbles or circles appear next to each individual line of text, allowing you to select it. If you could do so with the SMS, i.e. when you hit the plus your list of contacts appears, you select everyone you want to text then hit ok, (obviously they would have to add an ok at the top of the screen around where it says cancel) then it adds all the contacts at once, instead of having to select one, hit +, select another hit +, select another hit + etc...

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

it would be a nice feature, but i rarely send a text to more than 1 person at a time, so i'm not bothered.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You mean kind of like making On-the-Go playlists in iPod.app?

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I see what you both are saying, but I think that would still be very cumbersome to flick through all your contacts if you have a lot of them. If you don't have that many then it would make sense. Or maybe if they had all your most recent contacts that you texted at the top to select from it would be useful to me. Either way, I don't think it is a bad idea, but I think they need to implement it in a way that it doesn't make it more difficult for people that have a lot of contacts and would rather just search by name then flick through all their contacts.

8. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

A recent list would be cool for SMS. Also maybe a spotlight type integration, pulling them up as you type, you can select them, x out the search field, type another select it etc.. then hit ok when done.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I *never* flick through all my contacts. Ever see those letters on the right side of the screen... go ahead and drag your finger over them to jump to that letter in your contacts list. I can jump to anyone faster than I can type their name.

10. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Exactly. Being able to select all the contacts from one screen, instead of having to go back and forth so much.

I understand that many do not text more than one at a time but then again another part of the population does.

The event that made me think of this was when I got a new phone number and opted to send a mass text.

11. Spongey817 macrumors regular

You don't have to click "+" to add another contact.

In the "to" field, just start typing a contact's name. If you want to add another contact, just start typing again. You can add an unlimited number of recipients this way, with no need to search through all of your contacts.

Hope this helps.

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

same here... the teens might like it, though....