iPod touch SMS for iPod Touch???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Etowahlax14, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Etowahlax14 macrumors newbie

I was thinking... Is it possible to get SMS on the iPod?

I know it won't work but there are multiple sites on the Internet that send free texts over the internet and you get the reply text over your e-mail.

Is it possible to use the iPhone SMS app and mod it to send free texts over Wifi through one of these websites???

I would murder to get this app!!!!

2. mpw Guest

I'm sure you could just pay somebody to code it for you.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Through AIM or ApolloIM if you send an IM through aim to +1(friends number)

You can actually text them and they can text you back!! ;)

4. Gerard. macrumors member

Dont you need credit for that though? o_O

5. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I've heard of sms texting through internet, and some people say it's free!! but i can't really believe that. it would be nice though if someone maid a app, that you can send text messages oevr whole the world, were you can register and link it to a bank account, for a small amount of money, much less than with your cellphone. *hint*

6. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Nope, try it in iChat through Aim

7. nylock10 macrumors regular

Yup, it's free. Just add +1 and then the full number (including the area code).

So I wanted to text my friend at 555-555-5555

I'd add this friend to my AIM list using this username: +15555555555.

8. solyd macrumors regular

It is free however AIM adds a message to the beginning of every message saying you received a message from +screenname+ and you can reply to this message. It chops down the size of the text message to only a few words. A full message that you'd normally fit into one text message becomes several text messages for the person receiving your message. It becomes really annoying, normally I just ignore anyone that text messages me through AIM.

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Credit?

10. jcs1088 macrumors regular

i text through the mail.app i only know the e-mail for t-mobile customers. its the 10 ditgit # @tmomail.net

11. PaZ macrumors newbie

12. RRutter macrumors 6502

Yes, you can do this - or you can do it with email. I would recommend the AIM way though. I have tried doing the email way, and no workee. The AIM way always works. But sadly, iPod Touch doesn't have EDGE (E) or 3rd-Generation (3G) service. It must be connected to WiFi to send instant messages via AOL Instant Messenger (AIM.) Hope this helps!

:apple:

13. RRutter macrumors 6502

There you go, those are the perfect email addresses to send via email. But like I said, if you can send an email on iPod Touch, you have WiFi, so just go the simple way and send via AIM.

:apple:

14. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

well..

i've thought of this too and i would gladly pay for a Touch version of the iPhone's SMS app, but there would be a downside..

iPhone's run off of cell towers, iPod Touches run off of Wi-Fi, so you would have to be in a wifi network to do it, so you wouldn't have as much freedom as texting with an iPhone.

can't wait until my Verizon contract runs out... :D

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

plus the sms app would expect a simcard and mobile services on the touch ........ just get an iPhone and be done with it :p

16. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There are some Web-SMS apps out there (one here in Ireland: "EirText Pro", uses the web-SMS abilities of O2, Meteor & Vodafone), so I'd be surprised if there aren't many more options in other countries.

18. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

not that easy

i'm on a Verizon family plan and i live in New England and Verizon has bad service up here compared to AT&T/Cingular (whatever it's called now).

so i'm just waiting for our contract to run out... december 09 i think?! :D

19. Tilt macrumors member

You guys are dragging me in the new century :D This stuff is great. I've been a techy since when the internet was just all hyperlinks (ya I'm old). My wife was wanting a new phone to text since she is a nurse and hard to reach. I'm learning all the cool stuff that Ipod touch and IM on the phone. I just can't read enough of this.

20. buthkid macrumors newbie

textfree

Just get Textfree with voice. It lets you both call and sms over wifi. No charge for texts, voice requires credit, but you can get credit by downloading free apps

21. ahoughton23 macrumors newbie

Go to your App store and search Text free, you'll find the app you're looking for..

22. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The App store has a bunch of texting apps that require WiFi. Just use one of those. It's much much easier.

23. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

I believe there's an app called "TextFree" which gives you a real US mobile number (in the app). It's cool because it is a real number texting mobile phones so people can reply to you just as easily.

24. WAdams macrumors newbie

TextFree

Uhhh... You can't use the app called TextFree?? Works fine for me, I can text real cellphones from it.

25. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

I'm confused. Are you saying you can't or CAN?