SMS Forwarding does NOT need wifi or BT

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by devsfan1830, Oct 20, 2014.

1. devsfan1830 macrumors regular

devsfan1830

From my own testing, you do not need to be connected to your Mac via BT or wifi to relay SMS. I have both wifi and BT off on my phone. I can send an sms from my mac, and see it in my phone. Chat history is in sync on both devices. What appears to actually be going on is that the phone is receiving sms then delivering it via iMessage to the mac. I think this is pretty damn cool and means we dont need to have our wifi and bluetooth on 24/7. Now of course, since neither have a cellular radio, the iPad and Mac need to be on wifi. Plus, any call forwarding likely does need WiFi on all devices since a phone call or facetime relay needs far more bandwidth.

Its covered in another guide but to make the initial setup work and have the pairing code appear on all devices you need to set your phone and mac to be reachable from both your phone number and apple ID. If you just elect to be reachable by phone number it wont work.

2. seasurfer, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you are not talking about the blue iMessages?

If you are not connected with wifi or bluetooth, I don't think the green SMS get sent.

Edit at 10/21/2014 12:38 central time

I will take back my previous statement, the OP is right, I just tested it by turning my wifi and BT off, messages sent through my phone is also received on my iMac.

3. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

+ 1. it needs to communicate with your phone somehow

4. hpman247 macrumors regular

OP is correct. I just tested sending an SMS to my Google Voice #, and I was NOT connected via BT or Wifi on my iPhone 6+. The text went right thru and I got a Google Voice notification.

Then, I looked in the messages app, and the test message I sent was there.

5. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Seems to be relaying the message over iCloud, and not through direct BT or Wifi.

6. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

wow! this is a great implementation.

I'm getting rid of google voice right now!

7. jaysue macrumors regular

jaysue

So how do i get this to work?, when i try to send out a non iPhone message on my mac it says number not registered with iMessage.

8. hpman247 macrumors regular

you need to sign out of iMessage, and sign back in, choosing your phone # and an email address to associate with iMessage to get this to work. Also, you mac and iPhone need to be using the same iCloud account.

----------

It's the implementation I wanted, but fully did not expect. Apple DELIVERED on this one, and I am one happy camper.

"It just works..."

9. deviant macrumors 65816

OP is right. I just activated it thru VNC on my iMac which is in a different town lol.

10. devsfan1830 thread starter macrumors regular

devsfan1830

Yeah it took me a while to figure out the need to select phone number + email to make the pairing code work. They could have made that a bit more clear but i think a majority of users just leave the default account selections enabled when they set it up anyways. Otherwise this is a great implementation. Perhaps eventually apple can find out a way to remove the need for wifi or BT for the other handoff/continuity features as well. Like an Apple version of google voice.