SMS Forwarding not working

ineel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Hi, I have Yosemite and just installed iOS 8.1 on my iPhone 6. When I go to Settings > Messages > Message Forwarding > (turn on my mbp), it asks me to enter the code that is shown on my mac. No code is shown on my mac and thus i cannot activate sms forwarding on my mac. I've tried restarting my mac and my iPhone but no code is showing up on my mac. Anybody else having this problem?

ineel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Yes, wifi and bluetooth are on on both my mbpr and iPhone 6

smithy12

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Try logging out off iMessages then back in ....also make sure your mobile number has a tick next to it

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
You have to make sure you also have an email address enabled for iMessage on both the phone and the computer, not just your phone number and then it will work.

Königsblauer

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Add a mail-address as an alternative to receive messages alongside your number on every device. This worked for me.

ineel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
You have to make sure you also have an email address enabled for iMessage on both the phone and the computer, not just your phone number and then it will work.
Thanks so much! I just had only my phone number selected and I listened to your advice and ticked my email as well on both my laptop and phone and now SMS forwarding works! Thanks so much!

zakarhino

macrumors demi-god
Sep 13, 2014
Berkeley
I have enabled it successfully from what I can tell but the Mac Messages app has not updated to display all the conversations/threads that I have on my iPhone messaging app.

Is this intentional? How do I sync the conversations?

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I have enabled it successfully from what I can tell but the Mac Messages app has not updated to display all the conversations/threads that I have on my iPhone messaging app.

It'll probably only sync going forward, not back sync all your messages that aren't iMessages.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008

It's not going to sync old threads. All this is doing is forwarding any new messages over to the iMessage servers to show up on your devices. Old stuff is just that, Old.