SMS from a contact shows as 'Voicemail'

tmiles81

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out.

I got my iPhone 5 set up on Telstra (Australian network) yesterday, but whenever my wife sends an SMS, the preview says it has come from 'Voicemail'.
When i go into the message, it shows up as being from my wife along with all previous messages.

I have had a SMS from a friend and theirs showed their name correctly in the preview screen.

Has anyone had this or heard of it before? I tried deleting her from my contacts and then re-adding, but still hasn't fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Tim

Sambob75

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out.

I got my iPhone 5 set up on Telstra (Australian network) yesterday, but whenever my wife sends an SMS, the preview says it has come from 'Voicemail'.
When i go into the message, it shows up as being from my wife along with all previous messages.

I have had a SMS from a friend and theirs showed their name correctly in the preview screen.

Has anyone had this or heard of it before? I tried deleting her from my contacts and then re-adding, but still hasn't fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Tim
Hi I have the exact same problem,

I have tried deleting and adding, have tried a factory reset, nothing seems to work. I have lodged a ticked with Apple and they did not seem to care, have also lodged a ticket with Telstra and they are looking into the issue, by the way Apple said it was a Telco issue.

Did you find a fix?

By the way does you wife happen to have a HTC windows phone? perhaps it is a bug.

And one more thing, does your wife have 101 in her number, I think it is a iPhone bug.

Sambob.

Last edited:

tmiles81

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi I have the exact same problem,

I have tried deleting and adding, have tried a factory reset, nothing seems to work. I have lodged a ticked with Apple and they did not seem to care, have also lodged a ticket with Telstra and they are looking into the issue, by the way Apple said it was a Telco issue.

Did you find a fix?

By the way does you wife happen to have a HTC windows phone? perhaps it is a bug.

And one more thing, does your wife have 101 in her number, I think it is a iPhone bug.

Sambob.
Hi, nah i haven't found a fix yet and i did the whole deleting and re-adding like you!
Her phone is an iPhone 4 and yes she has 101 in her number too.
Let me know what Telstra end up saying please its just so annoying when i get a sms from her!
Thanks.

Sambob75

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Hi,

No love from Telstra, I think it is a bug we will have to learn to live with I have tried numerous things but the phone has a mind of its own!!

hammered24

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
Have the exact same problem.

Telstra iPhone 5 running iOS 6.

Number has 101 in it. Setting the contact to use the +61 4xx xxx xxx instead of 04xx xxx xxx seems to have fixed it.

Sambob75

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Have the exact same problem.

Telstra iPhone 5 running iOS 6.

Number has 101 in it. Setting the contact to use the +61 4xx xxx xxx instead of 04xx xxx xxx seems to have fixed it.
I tried that did not seem to work for me.

marty085

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
I have the exact same issue on Telstra post paid on a 3GS running iOS 6.1, my mate's number has 101 in it.. it is really damned annoying.