SMS Hide name app?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mindgames, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mindgames macrumors member

any idea if there is a mobile substrate to hide the name while smsing a contact in mobilesms? To be more specific, you go into SMS, u go into a conversation, and the contacts name is on top...anyway to remove that feature?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Hiding something from your better half ??

Just kidding ! ;)

3. Mindgames thread starter macrumors member

hahaha, only if i had a better half :(

but naw i just think its way more secure. i hate when people are lookin at my phone while im txting and the only reason they know who it is is due to the name in the title....to be honest im surprised the community hasent asked for this earliar...

4. luvu01 macrumors regular

i only can think that biteSMS has the privacy option so you can choose to have their name show or not.

5. Mindgames thread starter macrumors member

So i would have to use bitesms UI instead of mobilesms? Is there anyway with winterboard somehow?

6. luvu01 macrumors regular

I remember i saw something in cydia which you might use in winterboard but i think biteSMS is the best because you actually can quick reply or compose while doing something else on ur iphone. Best of all ita free

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

umm bitesms is like $13 or something... just comes with a free trial, but once that is over you have to pay.

8. Mindgames thread starter macrumors member

i just tried out bitesms and it is very nice, but it only hides the name in the sms alert, not the actual message box where you type....gahhhh!!!! please help!

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

afaik there is nothing in cydia that can do this. Perhaps if you look through some of the sms themes there might be one that hides it or where a name is not displayed, but that would be my only guess. Good luck.

also, i'm sure if you look around and find the right people someone else is probably interested in the same thing and you might find a dev interested in trying to do this for you. Seems like it would be pretty simple, just tell the sms app not to display a header, but i'm no dev so who really knows lol.

10. luvu01 macrumors regular

The message box is just where you can reply faster if you dont like it. All you have to do is close it.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

he wants the actual sms app to not display the name of the person texting him, not privacy on the popup or lockscreen. bitesms will not help him achieve this.

OP, perhaps you should look into a screen protector that blocks the view if you aren't looking at the phone pretty much straight on. Should keep most stray eyes unaware of who you are texting.

Also, I know there was an app back in the day on cydia, not sure if it still exists, but you could put a name into it, and then tell it to display a different alias every time the original name appears on your iphone. Maybe if you are just trying to hide a few peoples names you can just have them replaced with these "aliases"

12. Mindgames thread starter macrumors member

thats not a bad idea. ill try to find that on cydia. If not maybe ill try to get a team together and see if we can accomplish something. I doubt it would take long...but like xxBURT0Nxx said...im no dev lol. and as for the screen protector; i love the feel of glass too much

13. Mindgames thread starter macrumors member

Would anyone by chance know where the framework is located for mobilesms? I searched in system\library\frameworks,and i cant seem to find sms. figured apple moved it with 3.1.2. If i find this im going to try to play around with the .strings or .plist

14. luvu01 macrumors regular

about biteSMS im really sure you can hide the name and their text. go to biteSMS setting > look for privacy > it will appear 2 option for you.
    the 1st one is on lock screen
    3 options : show aleart > yes / no
    show name > yes / no
    show text > yes / no

the 2nd one is unlocked
    and they ask the same 3 options

and i was looking at my iphone biteSMS app while writing this reply

15. trajen macrumors 6502a

16. Mindgames thread starter macrumors member

dude, correct me if im wrong...but that is strictly for text pop up alerts, not typing in the actual bite sms program. go ahead and turn those both on and see if the bitesms app still displays the contact name in the header..:confused:

17. luvu01 macrumors regular

Oh now i know what you want. Why dont you just change that some1 to a different name only you will know who is it. Maybe some guy name haha