Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Hi,

I haven't deleted a text since the first iphone release. I'm not sure how many I have on there but it's a lot for sure.. This was never an issue until I updated to 5.0. I get a message saying my inbox is full. I can still get messages from IOS devices running 5.0 (iMessages), but not from any other device running any other OS. I really don't want to delete my messages. Is anyone experiencing the same thing? What should I do? Thanks in advance.

:confused:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I can see why one would want to keep certain text messages from loved ones and family members but to keep all your text messages from day one is a bit extreme.

When did you last need to go back that far to read a text ?

You ask 'what should i do' ?

Simple.......... start cleaning up your iPhone bro !

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I can see why one would want to keep certain text messages from loved ones and family members but to keep all your text messages from day one is a bit extreme.

When did you last need to go back that far to read a text ?

You ask 'what should i do' ?

Simple.......... start cleaning up your iPhone bro !

I appreciate the response, but this is no way helpful.

Anyone able to help me?

ryguy2303

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2009
Hi,

I haven't deleted a text since the first iphone release. I'm not sure how many I have on there but it's a lot for sure.. This was never an issue until I updated to 5.0. I get a message saying my inbox is full. I can still get messages from IOS devices running 5.0 (iMessages), but not from any other device running any other OS. I really don't want to delete my messages. Is anyone experiencing the same thing? What should I do? Thanks in advance.

:confused:

Same thing happened to me on my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. You should delete conversations/texts to make room….

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Same thing happened to me on my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. You should delete conversations/texts to make room….

But this was never an issue until I updated. I'm reading so many crazy stories across the web about this. I just can't nail down a real solution.

I need almost every single text that comes in. For business records.

Phil-82

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Only thing I can think of is finding where your text messages are saved on your phone and back them up, then delete them but store them on your computer. There wont be any cydia apps for this as your case is reallly rare but probably happens to the people that dont know how.

but if you really have a problem with deleting you messages you should go get checked out ;) just kidding

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Only thing I can think of is finding where your text messages are saved on your phone and back them up, then delete them but store them on your computer. There wont be any cydia apps for this as your case is reallly rare but probably happens to the people that dont know how.

but if you really have a problem with deleting you messages you should go get checked out ;) just kidding

Yeah those programs that go into your backups is absolutely an option. I just don't want to pay for it.

Sc00tr

macrumors regular
May 28, 2011
Yeah those programs that go into your backups is absolutely an option. I just don't want to pay for it.

I use iPhone Backup Extractor which is free. There is a file called sms.db which has all your sms messages in it. I just copy that file over periodically (usually just before an install) over into a folder and name them sms1.db, sms2.db.....

I have a shell script that I can use that will get the info out of the file.

jgw1283

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I'm having the same issue and nothing anyone said provides a solution. I've deleted tons of texts and I'm still not getting any texts incoming:mad:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Why would you save them all?...Wow.

I would assume that slows down the phone a lot

I don't think it slows down the phone at all. With me I wasn't saving the old text just never thought about going in and deleting them. But since my inbox was full I did delete them.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
But this was never an issue until I updated. I'm reading so many crazy stories across the web about this. I just can't nail down a real solution.

I need almost every single text that comes in. For business records.

If its full, its full. Can't do anything about it. Time to clear some out. Start from the bottom of your list.

Secondly, SMS can't be used for compliance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.