SMS issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Watabou, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Hey guys I have some problems win my SMS. It works when I send a message but when I try to reply after someone texts me, I get an error saying that please enter a valid 10 digit number. I use my contacts to text my friends and everytime I try to reply back, I get an error. I even tried typing the phone number too with 1(zip) xxx-xxxx. I still get the same error when I reply after they text me. What am I doing wrong or why isn't it working?

2. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

My friend is having the same issue on his first gen iPhone and he has 2.0.1 firrmware too. Is it supposed to be like that? And if yes, then why?:confused:

3. JWages macrumors regular

Its not supposed to be like that. i have 2.0.1 and it works fine. Although, you aren't supposed to enter a zip :eek: area code, maybe? :p

4. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well that's the thing. In my contacts and when I manually type the number in, its in this format : 1(zip)xxx-xxxx.

Lets suppose the phone number is 555-5556. And the zip code is 444. I type 14445555556. The first time, it goes through with no errors. When my friend replies, I get the message and when I try to reply back, I get the error from this strange number 1(121) 611-611 and it says "5555556(in blue, and it doesnt' have the zip code or the 1.) : Error Invalid Number. Please resend using a valid 10-digit mobile number or valid shortcode." And then it gives the message that I typed.

I don't get it. I typed the 10 digit mobile number but still gives me that error. Or do I not type in the 1?

5. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I have 2.0.1 and it works for me, too.

When I add a new contact, I don't put in the zip code if we share the same zip. If it's another zip, I only add the zip, not the 1.

Is your friend using their phone to reply or are they using AIM, their carrier's website, etc that wouldn't have the same reply number?

6. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

They are using the SMS app in the iphone(the native one). I will try without adding the 1 before the zip code and see how that works.

PS: I just tried the texting without the 1 and it gave me the error again. I might go to the Genius Bar and see what's up.

7. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Hmm.. *scratches head*

Genius Bar sounds like a good idea. Good luck!