Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masonhogfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I've installed iOS 5 GM on my phone and everything was going perfect until I tried to text. I get an error saying my SMS mailbox is full. It will let me send texts but not receive them. I've tried deleting entire SMS conversations to make more room but I'm still getting the message. The only way I can receive texts is to turn my phone off for a few minutes and then turn it back on, I get all the texts from the last restart but then can't receive any more. I tried restoring my phone as a new phone instead of from a back-up and it worked perfectly but I really need the back up because I need all my contacts, etc. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone know what's wrong? Is there a way to only use parts of a back-up? Like can I restore from a backup only using the back-up of my contacts and app settings?

Thanks

edit: few more things.. I updated my friends phone to iOS 5 from the same computer and his worked fine.
idk if this has anything to do with it but iMessage also works fine between me and him. Just not sms

Last edited:

masonhogfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
sorry to bump this but I REALLY need to have my texting back by tomorrow.. I'm going to need to coordinate an event with a bunch of people and calling all of them will be a huge pain.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
It's the back up. As far as I know, there's no way to fix this other than to restore as new? :/ The same thing happened to me the first time I updated. iOS 4 to iOS 5, isn't as smooth of a transition for everyone.

dhrosen

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Same issue here. I have restored from backup a dozen times, even tried to downgrade to 4.3.5 and that failed. Right now I have no texting at all. Is starting as a new phone the only option? Would I then be able to restore all my info (settings, apps etc)?

Thx!!!

masonhogfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
If I restore my phone as a new phone it works but is there any way to keep anything? Settings, contacts, etc? Especially contacts, I really need to keep those

masonhogfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I feel dumb... I just went through and deleted all my texts, restarted my phone, and it worked fine.. I guess the cap on texts stored is lower in iOS 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.