Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachleon11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Whenever I open my text messages I get a pop-up saying that my SMS mailbox is full and I need to delete messages in order to receive any messages. I have deleted so many messages and nothing has changed.

I have done a restore on iTunes and I have also done a reset - nothing is working.

What should i do?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Whenever I open my text messages I get a pop-up saying that my SMS mailbox is full and I need to delete messages in order to receive any messages. I have deleted so many messages and nothing has changed.

I have done a restore on iTunes and I have also done a reset - nothing is working.

What should i do?

i think the iPhone holds 80000 text messages. when you did a restore and reset did you wipe the phone and setup as new or restore from a backup

zachleon11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
When I restored it...

I backed it up on my computer, wiped it clean, then put on everything that I had backed up. My iPhone has 6.1 GB available out of the 14.5 GB offerred to me. So I am nowhere close to being totally full in terms of my memory.

Any other suggestions. Everything I've read and done is to delete text messages, which I've already done. Nothing is working. I keep my phone in great condition - the thing is over 3 years old.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I backed it up on my computer, wiped it clean, then put on everything that I had backed up. My iPhone has 6.1 GB available out of the 14.5 GB offerred to me. So I am nowhere close to being totally full in terms of my memory.

Any other suggestions. Everything I've read and done is to delete text messages, which I've already done. Nothing is working. I keep my phone in great condition - the thing is over 3 years old.

Set it up as new, if you don't care about the texts being lost. And if you do, set it up as new anyway :)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to have to more then 80000 texts on my phone. I have a few hundred convos dating back to 09 and I've never gotten this msg. I do slot of business thru text msgs so I like to be able to go back and check the dates and such I talked to people. So I hope this msg never comes cause I'd be lost without the messages!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Set it up as new, if you don't care about the texts being lost. And if you do, set it up as new anyway :)

+1, when you set it up as a backup your putting all those texts taht are filling your mailbox right back on the device

set it up as new

----------

I have to have to more then 80000 texts on my phone. I have a few hundred convos dating back to 09 and I've never gotten this msg. I do slot of business thru text msgs so I like to be able to go back and check the dates and such I talked to people. So I hope this msg never comes cause I'd be lost without the messages!

:eek:

few hundred convos?

yikes thats alot of texting

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

I have gotten it a few times recently. I had some messages that went as far back as '08. Back before they made that change we used to get the message more often. Otherwise I would have messages from '07, with full SMS/iMessages search it will be nice to be able to call up a specific piece of information from the past.

zachleon11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I have deleted A LOT

I've deleted 50-100 conversations and nothing has changed. Setting it up as "new" will erase a ton of stuff won't it?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I've deleted 50-100 conversations and nothing has changed. Setting it up as "new" will erase a ton of stuff won't it?

it will delete camera roll, sms, notes,

just copy your camera roll to your computer first, so really all you wont be able to get back is notes and sms from what ive seen on a restore from new

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
It doesnt really have to do with how much space you have on your iphone. If you have 10gb, that doesnt mean you can have 10gb worth of text messages. the iphone stores all this information in a database file which, I assume, if it gets too large, will slow the device down. Therefore they put a limit on it.

As for storing hundreds of conversations from back in 09, perhaps OP doesnt have an iphone 4, and previous generations have a lower limit?

Who knows...

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I had something weird happen - I had all of my texts erased completely when I attempted to send a video file to someone. I had messages dating back a few years, was not sure how many I had stored but I'm sure I had quite a lot. Never got an error message, just rebooted with the black screen with the silver apple, then when it rebooted all of the texts were gone. Everything else was still present. Weird, good thing I really didn't need all the texts.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
+1, when you set it up as a backup your putting all those texts taht are filling your mailbox right back on the device

set it up as new

----------

:eek:

few hundred convos?

yikes thats alot of texting

6c7d4862.jpg

Made that from SMS counter. 47000 text messages.

3 big ones, girlfriend 13500 texts
Boss 7500 texts
Friend 5500 texts then the rest are all misc business contacts haha.

270 sep convos.

Last edited:

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
what others have said. when you set it up from a backup all the texts went back on. what might be happening is even though your deleting messages the ones incoming are filling up that space. you need to delete a lot messages you don't care about. if its still causing problems then set up as new.

EDIT: to CrAkD. is that a jailbroken app or on the app store?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
what others have said. when you set it up from a backup all the texts went back on. what might be happening is even though your deleting messages the ones incoming are filling up that space. you need to delete a lot messages you don't care about. if its still causing problems then set up as new.

EDIT: to CrAkD. is that a jailbroken app or on the app store?

Jailbroken app. Smscounter on Cydia.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I've been getting this recently as well. I guess because the iPhone 5 was delayed and all my messages date back to June 2010.

But I usually delete conversations and my new txt messages just roll in after I delete my old messages

Just keep deleting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.