SMS Mailbox is full

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachleon11, Aug 17, 2011.

1. zachleon11 macrumors member

Whenever I open my text messages I get a pop-up saying that my SMS mailbox is full and I need to delete messages in order to receive any messages. I have deleted so many messages and nothing has changed.

I have done a restore on iTunes and I have also done a reset - nothing is working.

What should i do?

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i think the iPhone holds 80000 text messages. when you did a restore and reset did you wipe the phone and setup as new or restore from a backup

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, what nunes said.
    Also make sure you're not running out of space.
    Delete or move pics and videos to make some room.
    Try not to have it filled up close to full capacity.

4. zachleon11 thread starter macrumors member

When I restored it...

I backed it up on my computer, wiped it clean, then put on everything that I had backed up. My iPhone has 6.1 GB available out of the 14.5 GB offerred to me. So I am nowhere close to being totally full in terms of my memory.

Any other suggestions. Everything I've read and done is to delete text messages, which I've already done. Nothing is working. I keep my phone in great condition - the thing is over 3 years old.

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

Set it up as new, if you don't care about the texts being lost. And if you do, set it up as new anyway :)

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have to have to more then 80000 texts on my phone. I have a few hundred convos dating back to 09 and I've never gotten this msg. I do slot of business thru text msgs so I like to be able to go back and check the dates and such I talked to people. So I hope this msg never comes cause I'd be lost without the messages!

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

+1, when you set it up as a backup your putting all those texts taht are filling your mailbox right back on the device

set it up as new

----------

:eek:

few hundred convos?

yikes thats alot of texting

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I have gotten it a few times recently. I had some messages that went as far back as '08. Back before they made that change we used to get the message more often. Otherwise I would have messages from '07, with full SMS/iMessages search it will be nice to be able to call up a specific piece of information from the past.

9. zachleon11 thread starter macrumors member

I have deleted A LOT

I've deleted 50-100 conversations and nothing has changed. Setting it up as "new" will erase a ton of stuff won't it?

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Not just a ton. It will erase everything.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it will delete camera roll, sms, notes,

just copy your camera roll to your computer first, so really all you wont be able to get back is notes and sms from what ive seen on a restore from new

12. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

It doesnt really have to do with how much space you have on your iphone. If you have 10gb, that doesnt mean you can have 10gb worth of text messages. the iphone stores all this information in a database file which, I assume, if it gets too large, will slow the device down. Therefore they put a limit on it.

As for storing hundreds of conversations from back in 09, perhaps OP doesnt have an iphone 4, and previous generations have a lower limit?

Who knows...

13. fender57 macrumors 6502

I had something weird happen - I had all of my texts erased completely when I attempted to send a video file to someone. I had messages dating back a few years, was not sure how many I had stored but I'm sure I had quite a lot. Never got an error message, just rebooted with the black screen with the silver apple, then when it rebooted all of the texts were gone. Everything else was still present. Weird, good thing I really didn't need all the texts.

14. CrAkD, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

[​IMG]

Made that from SMS counter. 47000 text messages.

3 big ones, girlfriend 13500 texts
    Boss 7500 texts
    Friend 5500 texts then the rest are all misc business contacts haha.

270 sep convos.

15. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

what others have said. when you set it up from a backup all the texts went back on. what might be happening is even though your deleting messages the ones incoming are filling up that space. you need to delete a lot messages you don't care about. if its still causing problems then set up as new.

EDIT: to CrAkD. is that a jailbroken app or on the app store?

16. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Jailbroken app. Smscounter on Cydia.

17. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I've been getting this recently as well. I guess because the iPhone 5 was delayed and all my messages date back to June 2010.

But I usually delete conversations and my new txt messages just roll in after I delete my old messages

Just keep deleting

18. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

thanks, there is an smscounter on the app store for .99 cents so i wanted to make sure.

19. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I don't think the app store apps have permission to access the SMS database so I dunno what that app does haha.