SMS Message from IM Client

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by d21mike, Nov 24, 2009.

1. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

When I recieve an SMS Message from another phone and the person is in my Contact list it shows from that person. However, if that same person sends it via their IM Client (like Windows Live IM) it appears from a number like "(676) 100-01". Now inside it shows the person IM userid. I can then reply to that person and they will get it in their IM Client. I would prefer that it showed more like it came from their phone (or at least their IM Userid) so it would be easier to know who it came from without opening the message. My reason for all of this is to use SMS like an IM Client. I do not really want an IM Client on my phone. I tried the AIM Client but did not like the interface. Would be nice to use the same interface for both. Any ideas?

2. d21mike thread starter macrumors 68040

d21mike

I did find an option that appears to work so far. With the Message Open you can "Create New Contact" from the message. It uses the special number (like my example below) as the contact phone number. You can add that number to the contact or create a new contact. I chose to add a new contact (like Bob on IM) so I can tell the difference. Now when a message comes from Bob's computer it shows as Bob on IM. When it comes from Bob's phone it just says Bob. Also, I can now initiate a TEXT to Bob's Computer from the Contact List. Not sure how long this special number will work for a particular Contact but appears to be good so far. For me this works pretty good during the day when comunicating with the office since I do not have a Windows Live IM Client. Also, I really like having 1 client for this kind of communication. I have unlimited text plan.