SMS Messages disappear when iphone 3GS is unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Deanosaur, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Deanosaur macrumors newbie

Received SMS messages disappear when the iphone 3GS is unlocked. I have had the phone for some weeks now and cannot solve the problem. Can somebody please help?

2. IronLogik macrumors 6502

By disappear you mean they disappear from the home screen? that's supposed to happen. Goto the SMS app. Are they there? If not are you sure it's from the SMS app and not another app that does SMS messages? In that case you'd be getting a Push Notification.

IF you are in fact getting SMS messages and the phone is not displaying them in the Messages application then back up everything in iTunes by syncing. Then restore the phone. If that doesn't work. Call Apple.

3. Deanosaur thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Ironlogik, I finally got around to sync-ing the iPhone with iTunes so that I could restore factory settings to the iPhone and it worked to some degree. It all appeared to be going well however during the restore of the backup there was a problem. I received an error message which said "Error -9807" "We could not complete your iTunes Store Request. An unknown error occurred. There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."
    My iPhone displayed on the screen the iTunes icon and the connection lead and a whole lot of gobble-dock. After researching other forums I held down the "Home Button" and the "On Button" (top of the phone) together until it forced the itunes to restore the back-up.
    After doing the restore my SMS messages are saved when the phone is unlocked however the little numbers/red digits in the right corner of the SMS icon do not appear as a reminder that I may have unopened SMS messages.
    I phoned the Apple Store direct and it was suggested that my back-up might be corrupt. ???? Stranger things have happened but I think I am grasping for straws now to fix the problem.
    I am going to attempt another restore.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It depends when you acknowledge the incomming message. If you slide to view when the message arrives all further notifications are stopped including the message counter. If you slide to unlock then it should have a message counter.