SMS/MMS receipt notification...still missing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGiver, Sep 27, 2009.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Hi,
    Is there now a way to make sure that SMS/MMS you sent were received by te person you sent it to? Like a notification...something i had on all previous phone i owned...But it looks like Apple likes not to developp easy & very comon functions...Maybe later on they will make a buzz out of it and tell us it is the main feature from the next OS...something extraordinary like the did for copy/paste...c'mon Apple...
    X

2. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I think the only way to know is if the person replies

3. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Sure...but i do not expect a reply to each sms i send, however in some cases i would ike to be sure that what i sent is received or when it was received...So it looks like it is still not possible...i find this unbeleivable...

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I know apple is a creative group of geniuses (or genii, not sure which), but has any other phone had a notification like the one you want?

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I know Windows Mobile based phones have an option to turn on SMS / MMS receipts but that's because their text msg engine is based on Outlook.

Personally receipts are a network hogging feature and not really necessary IMHO since, SMS'ing can get pretty repetitive and constant, if your sending a bunch of short SMS's and asking receipts for each one that's a lot of traffic, plus if I'm not mistaken the receipt would count towards the receiving persons txt msg'ing plan since THEY are sending the receipt "yes I got the sms" then they would be getting double billed for just one message.

The option might be nice but again, IMHO just not needed.

6. SDRacerR1 macrumors member

Well my old Sony Ericson w810 had this option, actually for both either SMS or mms. And it does come in handy sometimes...and that phone was 3 years old from AT&T so it's def capable.

In easy way this can be accomplished it at least being able to go into message details and seeing when it was delivered...like a time stamp...that was also available on my old phone.

So yes, I agree with OP, Apple is sorta behind times...but what's new!

7. matttye macrumors 601

Not every network charges people for receiving messages. We only get charged for sending in the UK, at least.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I don't know of a way for a receipt, but there if it didn't send at all, then it puts a red ! next to the message

9. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

good point.

and I think you will just have to assume that if there is no red '!' next to the msg, it went through and the recipient got the msg

10. pauliphone macrumors regular

I don't know about for other networks but with o2 in UK if you start the message with *0# then it will send back a delivery report letting you know when the other person has received the message.

11. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

If you're using your iPhone for pleasure, then yes message receipts might not be useful. But it's damn useful in business. Some people use the iphone for more than itunes and fart apps.

12. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I agree that this feature is useful in business messages however not an option with the iPhone. I refrain from sending SMS or MMS messages from the iPhone in business and have opted for email (although the iPhone does not offer email receipt either) in fact I'm thinking of getting the TP2 when it comes out for business use.

13. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Email won't work if your standing at a user's desk trying to work with another tech team and the user is on the phone, (don't want to talk over them on my cell) or in a server room and need to communicate with HP or Dell and there is no phone nearby and your cell is not getting reception.

14. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

To answer a few comments, I agree tha receipts may generate a lot of traffic but i would need it in specific cases or for specific persons...so that would be great if Apple could enable this (either the basic receipt functionnality or even better to activate it for some contacts only)...also and at least for me...my provider does not charge receipts...i never heard about this before...the comment regarding the red dot for message not sent (failed) has nothing to do with receipts/notifications. Your SMS can be sent but read much later (phone turned off, no coverage from the receiver, forgot to read, Holidays, etc...).
    On all my Nokia's i had this functionnality and it's been for years...

To me it would be really usefull in some cases...but it looks like it is one more easy and comon feature Apple overlooked.

X

15. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I was waiting for this, I knew all along that you damn well new this function was not there, your whole point of this thread as with some of your past comments was to point out shortcomings in the iPhone you knew were already there. Yes I went back through some of your post. I know who you are. ;)

16. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

For some people, I'm afraid the glass will remain half empty, rather than half full. Sounds like it's clear which camp the OP belongs to...

Nothing wrong with having a legitimate iPhone-related feature gripe, but starting a thread ostensibly to innocuously ask about one is another thing, indeed. Well, thanks, sinsin07 for pointing it out.

17. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Haha ;) I can see you're snooping around like Colombo on some of my previous post...and you are actually right, i made that point on another thread but realized it was not the right thread so i decided to open one specific about that topic...fair enough i beleive especially when i see i am not the only one who would like that functionnality to be activated...I just hope Apple wil be reading this...well...i might be dreaming but who knows...
    X
    PS: i will talk about this same topic on ather OP's thread that has nothing to do with sms notifications (like on an iMac post or something)...Let's see if you can find it :cool:

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Columbo? Are you an American living in France, or a French person watching old American TV shows?:D

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I did a little digging on my blackberry help file on this.

Quote below is some stuff that I looked up recaruing delivery notification for SMS.
    Personally I am fine with that being blocked by AT&T. I do not view text messages as that important. Plus they count as a text message for the receiver so they would have to pay for 2 text messages for everyone one you send. That adds up fast.

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I use iPhone for more than itunes and fart apps and still don't really find this feature useful. Also on the receiving end in the history of return receipts I don't believe I ever opted to confirm one.

I agree it would be nice for those that need it, but just because one doesn't find this useful doesn't mean they just use phone for itunes and fart apps.

21. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If you use FishText on your iPhone/iPod Touch then you can check for confirmed delivery by logging into the website. Unfortunately the App doesn't provide that information yet but it's all recorded online.

Handy if you suspect someone hasn't received your message, though, i.e. because their phone is off.

22. scho52386 macrumors regular

scho52386

You could always get a cheaper, more simple phone with better user functionality! :)

I have no complaints of the iPhone, it is perfect to me. :)

No matter what they come out with, people will always think that something is missing. I personally want to be able to attach two iPhones to my shoes and hover. Come on Apple...Jesus. :)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While it would be nice to have the option, I don't think I would ever use it.

24. mikeabbz macrumors member

On a Verizon Blackberry when you send an SMS to another Verizon customer a little "D" appears next to the message to show it was delivered. I don't think it is anything too complex, maybe if it worked for at least messages delivered to people on the same carrier.

25. megapopular macrumors 6502a

The receipt itself is not a guarantee, is it? Do we know what the receipt represents in this sending of an electronic massage? Couldn't the receipt itself be erroneous?