SMS not working, please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jman6439, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Jman6439 macrumors newbie

I recently installed a Seagate 500GB 7200.4 hard drive without the g-sensor. I've noticed however that I could not purposely nor accidentally "trip" the SMS that is built into the aluminum unibody macbook; I do remember being able to rip the original one that came with the purchase. I checked the SMS in the terminal and it is activated. Could anyone please help me understand?

Also, is there anyway to install the Macbook Pro Hard drive Update onto a unibody macbook?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

2. lyons238 macrumors 6502

its kind of hard to trip. i have the same hd and mine has only tripped once when i was on a bus going back to college and nailed a series of bumps.

iv tried moving my laptop quickly and such and i never hear anything. but of coarse i never really tried too hard to shake my laptop. whats the point ya know?

get an sms app where u can make it look like water is in your screen to see if your sms is working. if it is you should be fine..

edit: and i also never heard my stock drive park its head either so...

3. Jman6439 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah makes sense. I was just nervous that if my macbook would have dropped off my bed, the SMS would have saved the hard drive. Hopefully it does!

Do you feel like the Seagate 7200.4 was a good choice? I hear a QUIET fan like noise coming from the hard drive region, wondering if thats an issue (only hear it in complete silence). No vibration though! :)