SMS Notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjb.butler, Oct 11, 2011.

1. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

So for all of you running iOS 5... How do text notifications work? Can you still get the pop-up? (I actually liked it). Does the screen light up?

2. musika macrumors 65816

musika

yes and yes.

you can chose the old method, new method, or no notif. at all for each app one by one in the settings.

screen still lights.

3. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Yes the screen still lights up and a pop-up still shows up if the phone is locked.

If the phone is unlocked, you can choose between the old pop-up, the new banner, or non of the above.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

As far as I know you have a choice (options?! From Apple?! :eek:) as to how you want it to work, and the old way is an option.

EDIT: they beat me to it. I need to learn to type faster.

5. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Thanks everyone.

Do you guys still use the pop-up?

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I won't be! I hate those things! They are the most annoying things in the world!

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Same here I really do specially after using android I like the new way, get a big blue pop up telling me the I have a new msg while reading some article on the web

8. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

What about the flash, can you have that work as a notification led?

9. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Yup it was listed on the ios 5 presentation , I wonder how much battery will it use tho

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

For locked, I use the newer method. Sliding it over to open the text message directly in Messages is sleek and fast... which really excites me because I'm a huge fan of BiteSMS.

For unlocked, same thing (?) I guess. It just pops down from the top of the screen with a subtle notification, which then goes away after a second or two. I usually reply right away anyway, since I'm awfully forgetful.

Only problem I seem to run into is that if you get a text, you open it in Messages, reply (or simply read it), then let your iPhone go back to sleep with the Messages still as the active app, you won't get notifications. I've missed quite a few texts this way. Can anyone confirm or am I just losing my mind?

11. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Oh wow really? That would be no bueno at all. I hope you are wrong!

12. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

It was like that in iOS 4 also. If you are talking about while the screen is still on, then you are correct. You will not get a notification, just that quite text sound.

If the phone is locked while still in the messages app, you will still get a lock screen pop-up

13. Virance macrumors regular

The banner seems to have all the advantages of the pop up (being very obvious when you get a message) and none of the disadvantages (requiring input). I switched everything to the new banner method.

14. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Yup I am coming from Android and I love the notifications on their. Every time I use my iPad or iPod touch I hate getting notifications. Disrupts everything I am doing!

15. jcsites macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info (musika). Good job!;)

16. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Alright, so here's the test I did. I IM'd my phone from my IM client, swiped the notification to open it, let the iPhone lock, sent another IM... notification appeared! But then, I did the same thing, except after swiping the notification to open it, I replied, let the iPhone lock, then sent another IM... notification appeared again!

Alright, so I have no idea what's happening. I swear it hasn't notified me on numerous occasions -_-

17. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Haha its all good! As long as it does notify you that is all I care about!