SMS on iPad question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rf61985, Jun 5, 2014.

1. rf61985 macrumors member

Hi,

Tried searching but couldn't find an answer. If I missed it I apologize in advance. In regards to SMS on an iPad, does it work through icloud or do both devices needs to be connected to a network.

Let's say I have my cellular iPad and I'm out and I get an SMS on my phone. Will it show up on the iPad as well or is it reliant on a network?

Thanks for the help.

2. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Don't have the beta installed, but I'm pretty sure they'll have to be connected to the same wi-fi or at least both to the internet for this to work.

3. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

It works through your Apple ID and iCloud. Your phone will act as a relay device.

4. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

So If we aren't on the same network for example, I won't get the SMS on the iPad?

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I don't think it's 100% clear how it works at this point. The Apple website indicates that the devices need to be on the same wifi network, but there was also an implication that Bluetooth is utilized, too. Considering that Apple has been claiming that SMS works "when your phone is nearby," it's unlikely that the messages are being forwarded through iCloud to the rest of your devices.

6. Purex macrumors member

It seems regarding the SMS´s , the devices can be in diferent places. This Guy received an SMS in his iOS 7 iPhone and simultaneously in his iOS 8 iPad ( via Wifi ), in totally different locations ! Very convenient !

So it seems the SMS might pass threw apple servers / iCloud ?

It s in Portuguese, u might have to translate it

http://cocatech.com.br/ios-8-sms-em-...e-via-internet

7. cschmelz macrumors 6502

It appears to me from looking at how this works on my Ipad and 5S that it is being passed via Bluetooth.

I also note that when you read SMS's on the iPhone their status doesn't update to read on the iPad as of beta 1 even if the devices are within Bluetooth range.

8. mcrawley macrumors member

mcrawley

I have been able to send an SMS while my ipad and iphone were on separate work Wifi networks. (BT is off on both)

The message I sent from the ipad showed up on the iphone immediately within messages. However at some point, the SMS message I originally received from my friend on my phone disappeared from messages on my iphone but not on the ipad.

I also just received a page from a monitoring service that sends me an SMS on my ipad a minute or so after the message hit the phone. Which is new.

9. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds interesting!

10. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

It's using wifi because I can get and on my Late 2011 MBP. which doesn't have Bluetooth LE. which I think is what airdrop needs to work. I also got hand off working once between my iPhone and MBP. I installed iOS 8 as new on both and 10.10 is also installed but I did not install that as new.