sms on wifi ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by mindyish, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mindyish macrumors member

I have googled endlessly and found that you can text on ipad 3g but is there a way to send and recieve texts (preferably sms through your carrier) on the non 3g model of ipad 2? If not, can the 3g ipad be bought without data plan?

I am new to ipad (had iphones for yrs though) and want to just use the ipad when lounging around instead of switching from iphone to ipad. (dont make many calls but text a lot with tmobiles unlimited data, talk and text)

Just wondering if there was any way to text on ipad and get instant notifications for incoming besides yahoo messenger or text plus. Would google voice help here? What options are there?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The WiFi iPad lacks the needed chips for SMS texting. The 3G iPad can be bought without a data plan.

3. mindyish thread starter macrumors member

So, is there a way to text sms on the 3g without the data plan then? Or, someway to use my current data plan on iphone to use sms on ipad?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need an active cellular connection in the 3G iPad. To SMS on an AT&T iPad, you need a different SIM. As the provided SIM is locked to data only. I do not think there is a way to SMS on a Verizon iPad.