Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notbrazil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Looking at some old threads it seems that when SMS messages come through they are there for all to see - which can be embarrassing if someone else has your iPhone or if a friend has sent something the kids shouldn't be reading!

I found this but just wanted to know has anyone tried it, if so is it OK?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=832

If not, any other suggestions would be welcome. I think this is a huge flaw, especially for business users. Surely a simple F/W update could address this. It is infuriating if you're trying to get some work done on the train and a message pops up to ask what time you'll be home!

If anyone has any further suggestions please let me know.

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Personally, if I knew something was on there that I didn't want kids seeing, I would clear the conversation long before the phone was in anyone elses hands. Rarely does it ever go into someone elses hands anyway, so I guess I don't have a very good opinion on this.

Though, iClarified is a great source, and I would suggest just about anything that they post on there website. I would try it out.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^^ Agreed. There are a few convos I wouldn't have wanted people to see back in the day. Those were immediately deleted.

notbrazil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks. You can see my point though. Especially now they're doing business tariffs - I just think SMS should be private in the same way as the email is.

It's just typical of Apple to see their own product more as a toy than a legitimate business product.

Thanks again for advice on iClarified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.