Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hpman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Is it possible?

My 6+ shows the 5S in the Text Message Forwarding settings, and when I turn it on for the 5S it says to enter a code that shows up on my 5S.

On my iPad Mini and Air, the code displayed immediately, but on the 5S, nothing appears?

iMessage is activated on the 5S. I had to take my SIM out of the 6+ and put it in the 5S for that to activate, but once I did that it worked.

I just wonder if SMS Relay is not available when using an old iPhone as an iPod Touch.

Note that I did a fresh restore on the 5S and set up as a new phone before doing any of this, and handoff is working no problems on the 5S.

hpman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Then make sure on your main device that your number and your iCloud e-mail are ticked on the receive part. Try again after that.

They are all ticked.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of limitation seeing as it's an old iPhone. The 5S still has my main Phone # input in phone settings. I can't seem to remove it.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
They are all ticked.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of limitation seeing as it's an old iPhone. The 5S still has my main Phone # input in phone settings. I can't seem to remove it.

I have a 4s and the device is getting my iPhone 6 SMS texts fine so it's not that the device is old, especially a 5s.

If I can remember, SMS Relay didn't work for me on the 4s until I had another working SIM in it. (You can remove it once it's working)

hpman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
I have a 4s and the device is getting my iPhone 6 SMS texts fine so it's not that the device is old, especially a 5s.

If I can remember, SMS Relay didn't work for me on the 4s until I had another working SIM in it. (You can remove it once it's working)

I did take the SIM out of the 6+ and put it in the 5S to test this, but I still wasn't able to get it to send a code.

Maybe when I'm on my home wifi network it will figure itself out.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
I did take the SIM out of the 6+ and put it in the 5S to test this, but I still wasn't able to get it to send a code.

Maybe when I'm on my home wifi network it will figure itself out.

No you misunderstood me, what I mean is that you need another working SIM to put in your 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.