SMS Relay from 6 Plus to 5s

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hpman247, Dec 10, 2014.

1. hpman247 macrumors regular

Is it possible?

My 6+ shows the 5S in the Text Message Forwarding settings, and when I turn it on for the 5S it says to enter a code that shows up on my 5S.

On my iPad Mini and Air, the code displayed immediately, but on the 5S, nothing appears?

iMessage is activated on the 5S. I had to take my SIM out of the 6+ and put it in the 5S for that to activate, but once I did that it worked.

I just wonder if SMS Relay is not available when using an old iPhone as an iPod Touch.

Note that I did a fresh restore on the 5S and set up as a new phone before doing any of this, and handoff is working no problems on the 5S.

2. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

SMS relay only works on devices running iOS 8.1+. Just throwing that out there.

3. hpman247 thread starter macrumors regular

All devices are running 8.1.1

4. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Then make sure on your main device that your number and your iCloud e-mail are ticked on the receive part. Try again after that.

5. hpman247 thread starter macrumors regular

They are all ticked.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of limitation seeing as it's an old iPhone. The 5S still has my main Phone # input in phone settings. I can't seem to remove it.

6. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

I have a 4s and the device is getting my iPhone 6 SMS texts fine so it's not that the device is old, especially a 5s.

If I can remember, SMS Relay didn't work for me on the 4s until I had another working SIM in it. (You can remove it once it's working)

7. hpman247 thread starter macrumors regular

I did take the SIM out of the 6+ and put it in the 5S to test this, but I still wasn't able to get it to send a code.

Maybe when I'm on my home wifi network it will figure itself out.

8. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

No you misunderstood me, what I mean is that you need another working SIM to put in your 5s.

9. hpman247 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I see. I'll have to see if I can use a friends SIM or something