SMS Relay Not Coming Until October

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by madsci954, Sep 12, 2014.

1. madsci954, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

madsci954 macrumors 68030

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/12/apple-says-new-ios-8-sms-continuity-feature-wont-arrive-until-october/

Dang :( the one feature I was looking forward to the most.

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

The worse part is it was working. I'm using the Yosemite beta pretty much 100% now that the new Parallels is out and supports it. It seems less buggy than the iOS 8 GM but the handoff/continuity features which are the main reasons for upgrading haven't worked to well.

Looking forward to October and hoping they have some nice Mac updates in the hardware department.

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Seems to be working intermittently at the moment.

It won't arrive until October as that's when Yosemite is released.

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Well, Im a little confused why this is news...Yosemite probably won't come out to October...Also I currently have the beta and it works fine.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I had presumed it would work between iPhones and iPads before Yoemite came out. So if that's not the case, yes, that's news.

7. madsci954 thread starter macrumors 68030

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

SMS section says Coming in October

8. Jest3r macrumors regular

Coming to all users in October with the debut of Yosemite. It will continue to be available to all Yosemite beta testers until then.

9. BasicGreatGuy, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

SMS has been turned off in DP 7 as well.

10. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

So is SMS relay dependent on some kind of Apple backend? I figured it was device to iPhone to cell network. So odd

Was working great between my iPad Air and iPhone 5 the first night of iOS8GM and hasn't worked since. All other Continuity features are working great.

11. matthewadams macrumors regular

Apparently it goes through iCloud then... I personally would've preferred if it just went through WiFi.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

All this bouncing to the cloud and back is so inefficient.

For example: I took 500MB of photos and videos on my phone, and get home and want to see them on the computer.

They have to upload from my phone to iCloud.

Then they have to download from iCloud to the computer.

That's 1GB of data transfer over my home internet connection, when theoretically only 500MB was needed (upload to cloud only). Not only is it a lot slower than just zipping across the Wifi (ac) at nearly a gigabit speed, but for people with small home internet data plans this is going to cost them money!

This stuff needs to be thought through. If local communication is possible it should be used above all else.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Good point...I guess the only issue would be if you took a bunch of photos on vacation & somehow lost your iPhone before you got home (where your Mac is), your pictures would be lost.

But I think SMS Relay/Hand-off and all that should work without the Cloud. It seems that would make it more secure too...

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

From the DP 8 release notes...

Handoff Known Issue

- Using Handoff to pass an untitled TextEdit document between two Macs may not work. Saving the document first and waiting 5-10 seconds before attempting Handoff may resolve this issue.

SMS Note

- SMS Continuity is not currently available for testing. It will be available in October via a free update to iOS 8.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Nah, that'd be fine. The pictures would still be uploaded to the cloud when you got on Wifi.

But if, for example, your Mac at home was shut off when you got home, and you turned it on... it'd make about a thousand times more sense for the Mac to get all those photos from your phone than from iCloud.

16. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I gotcha...that makes sense to me. I don't want wait for a 10 minute long 1080P 60fps video I shot on my iPhone to go to the cloud & back to my Mac. It makes more sense to do it in the way you described.

17. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Same here, was really looking forward to this, so a little disappointed. Will have to wait for Yosemite I guess :rolleyes:.

18. graywolf323 macrumors member

graywolf323

explains why it doesn't even give the option to try to send a SMS in the new PB3 anymore

19. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

Wait, SMS relay / Continuity has been working fine in PB2. They turned it off in PB3?

20. bkribbs macrumors 65816

On everything. Is it actually still working? I had it set up between my iPad, iPhone and maybe laptop (don't remember). It then just randomly quit working. Come on the forums, several threads about it.

21. TheColtr macrumors 6502

Yes and in DP 8. As well as being turned off on Apple's backend too.

22. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

Nope. Just tested it and it isn't working. I guess I'll upgrade to PB3 then.