Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlatinuM195

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Originally based on this post, I thought my early 2011 wouldn't support any handoff features (including SMS relay) since it didn't have bluetooth LE.

With the latest Yosemite beta and iOS 8 beta 5, SMS relay seems to be working fine even with bluetooth turned off on both my iPhone 5 and 13" MBP. Have to admit this feature is awesome, but wasn't expecting support at all.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
The early 2011 MBP Supports "Continuity" by features of SMS Relay, and iPhone Cellular calls. However Handoff, AirDrop and Instant Hotspot require Wi-Fi ac and Bluetooth LE. (There is a hack in the Yosemite forum about enabling all of the latter in OS X ^_^ thank the based gods for Hardware User Upgrades!!)

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Originally based on this post, I thought my early 2011 wouldn't support any handoff features (including SMS relay) since it didn't have bluetooth LE.

With the latest Yosemite beta and iOS 8 beta 5, SMS relay seems to be working fine even with bluetooth turned off on both my iPhone 5 and 13" MBP. Have to admit this feature is awesome, but wasn't expecting support at all.

SMS Relay doesn't need bluetooth. Texts I get while at work appear on my Mac at home while I am still at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.