SMS Relay working?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by avanpelt, Oct 16, 2014.

1. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Is SMS relay activated in Yosemite?

I can make and receive phone calls via my Mac now that I've upgraded to Yosemite; but when I get a regular SMS, it shows up on my phone but not in the Messages app in Yosemite. Also, when I try to send an SMS to a number that's not registered with iMessage from the Messages app in Yosemite, all I get is an error that the phone number is not registered with iMessage.

I've signed out and signed back into my Apple account in Messages in Yosemite and I still can't seem to get SMS relay to work. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind. According to a Mashable article I just read, SMS Relay will be rolling out with iOS 8.1 on Monday.

2. crazyman3005 macrumors regular

Same, doesn't seem to be working...When I try to pair my MBA and iPhone it says unsuccessful .... bugs already...

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I think I heard that it was disabled in iOS 8.02 and will return in 8.1.
    I know that it worked during the Yosemite betas and then recently stopped working so that sounds right to me.

4. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Yep believe it will be working on Monday with 8.1 :)

5. Jason Cox macrumors newbie

Jason Cox

Heck, it was working in 8.0 GM and only stopped working the day Apple released it to the masses. :p

6. BMW535i macrumors member

Is SMS Relay where you can send a text message to non-iMessage users from another device besides an Iphone? If not, what is it? Thanks.

7. Playgear macrumors regular

It is sending SMS messages from your Mac through your iPhone to someone else.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

It's working with iOS 8.1 beta but it was a PITA to get working again. I struggled to get it working again, but it's working at last.

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

As soon as I updated to 8.1 Beta, it worked straight away. No problems.

11. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

iCloud has been acting strange for the last couple of hours. My Mac first had to acknowledge my phone. Only then could my phone request a text forwarding code.

I didn't see an option to use iCloud has my OS X log in like how I currently use Yosemite GM on another partition. I still can't use the same log in.

12. InsideTJ, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

InsideTJ macrumors regular

So after a morning of trying to get this working, it is not actually enabled yet? I installed yosemite last night. For a while I had an sms relay option on my iPhone 8,02 and could actually see some sms on my mac, but could not reply. after a lot more fiddling and resets, the sms option is gone on my phone?

edit: i think i was seeing handoff. started an sms on phone, saw the handoff message popup on mac, tried to continue but it could not send.

13. unobtainium macrumors 68000

SMS Relay still won't let me initiate an SMS message from my Mac. Can someone confirm that this specifically is supposed to work?

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

you have to go into your iphone setting/messages and turn forwarding on

15. iterva macrumors regular

SMS Relay working?

IOS 8.1 on iP6 and iPad, 10.10 on Mac -> sms relay (and voice calls) does indeed work.
    When enabling the relay on your phone, does your mac even display a pop-up with a pin..?

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/25/yosemite-ios-8-how-to-set-up-and-use-sms-relay/

16. unobtainium macrumors 68000

It does, yeah. I'm able to use SMS Relay to continue an SMS conversation that started on my iPhone. But I'm not able to initiate a *new* SMS conversation on my Mac. There has to be a preexisting thread started from my phone.

17. cosminsel macrumors member

cosminsel

Works for me.