SMS sender recognition problem after 1.1.4 upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cleung, Apr 27, 2008.

1. cleung macrumors regular

I have an unlocked phone and just upgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4 last week and I'm using my iphone in Hong Kong. After the upgrade, I have issues with SMS coming from friends of mine here in Hong Kong who are using a different service provider than me. I have no trouble sending SMS to them but when they send messages to me, they would either come as a response to my message and continued in the same thread of conversation and their name would pop up when the SMS arrives, or the SMS would come under "+852 xxxx-xxxx" where 852 is Hong Kong's country code. This happens totally sporadically. If I have an SMS conversation with 10 exchanges with the same friend, half of the SMS could fall back on the original conversation where her name would show up and the rest would fall under a separate conversation under the "+852 xxxx-xxxx" number. This never happened before I switched to 1.1.4. I also don't have a problem with friends who are using my carrier. Does anyone know how to fix this? I hope my description isn't too confusing....

Thanks!

2. zmit macrumors regular

i am in australia and we have the same problem. however, some people here have developed a fix for it.
    it is a problem with the 'localisation' of the iphone.
    as they are only set up for either US or UK numbers.

i dont know if this will work for you.
    http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1485

basically just look around for a fix named 'number format' or 'localisation' for hong kong...

other wise you will just have to put both versions of the number in your contact.

for example, i would have to put +61XXXXXXXX as well as 0XXXXXXX in the contact 'Joe White' for it to show up in the same conversation.

but thats a pain doing that to EVERY contact.

edit: found this one too. but its only for 1.1.1
    http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6903

that is basically what you are looking for.