SMS Solutions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M0bile, Jun 19, 2008.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

So I've been reading about everyone complaining about the $5 for 200 text messages and I've been thinking... are they even necessary anymore? I mean, you've a phone with incredible internet capabilities. Instead of using a text message, why not just use MySpace, Facebook, etc. messages, e-mail, e-mailing your friends phones (i.e, mobile#@message.Alltel.com) and things like that. With iChat and AIM, you can send IMs to mobile phones for free (counts as a text message for the receiver) and the receiver can respond to them. I'm going to be using these alternative methods, because when it comes down to it I would rather spend $5 on a gallon of gas than 200 text messages and some overage fees.

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It depends how AT&T allows IM to be handled. They may want the messages to count towards your SMS bucket. If they don't then yeah SMS won't be as important. Of course this is only applicable if the people you are "chatting" with have the same level of access to these IM programs.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

thats just not do able.

When I send a text, I'm expecting a response fairly quickly, plus tons of my friends have normal phones, so they don't go online wit it. Also I can't constantly be checking if someone is messaging me.

Thats just not a good solution.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

AT&T BETTTERRR not charge for IMs, that will not be smart on their behalf. I use AIM 24/7 basically and even thought I do, I still text people and receive texts. I just hope the AIM that AOL releases will be good enough for me to replace my sidekick slide.

5. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Using things like that goes to their phone as a text message.

And to clarify, I mean using iChat and AIM from your Mac/PC to send text messages.

6. Paul S macrumors regular

Dude, I thought you meant the iPhone had iChat. Got me all excited for nothing. :mad:

:D

7. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

I won't be surprised if AT&T charges for IMs when iChat/AIM makes it to the iPhone (AIM is in production btw). Right now you can download AIM on Alltel phones and it just charges every IM in and out as a text message.

8. Paul S macrumors regular

I hope not. But then again, I am going with the unlimited text plan, so it won't matter. But with my current Blackberry, GTalk is free w/ data plan--does not go through as SMS.

9. paduck macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised either, but the mechanics will be more difficult for AT&T than Alltel. Remember iChat will show up in the Apple App Store. I doubt they will have to coordinate its preduction and distribution with AT&T. It will be just another iPhone app that uses a small amount of data (like the weather and stock programs). Even if there is a official one, someone will write their own that defeats such a charging mechanism.

10. boomchip macrumors newbie

ATT currently charges for IMs. At least, the shared data package for the familytalk plans states that it includes unlimited text, MMS, and IM's. Why would they put IM's into this plan if they weren't something that they charged for in the first place? Even if they weren't tagged with a fee, you would be charged somehow maybe by the KB under an Internet plan.

Or, they are trying to beef up the package more to justify the $30 price point for that package... either way, I don't use IM's on my phone and probably never will, unless somehow in the iPhone it can be done seamlessly like it is on the PC. Otherwise, I'll stick to txt messaging as it is obviously the most universal method of communication on the cell phone (other than voice, that is).