Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanTheAppleMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I recently jailbroke my iPhone 3G. I found an SMS sound I want to use for texts but it still uses "tri-tone". Anyone know why?:apple:

jmann

macrumors 604
You have SSH into the device and replace the .caf file with the custom audio file. It has to replace/take place of one of the original SMS sounds. So find one, Tri-tone (or your least favorite one) and overwrite it with your custom file using an SSH program like CyberDuck.

RyanTheAppleMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
You have SSH into the device and replace the .caf file with the custom audio file. It has to replace/take place of one of the original SMS sounds. So find one, Tri-tone (or your least favorite one) and overwrite it with your custom file using an SSH program like CyberDuck.

What's SSH? And do I just download CyberDuck on my iPhone? Or computer?

jmann

macrumors 604
SSH lets you connect to the phone remotely from your computer over wifi, and you can change files. You have to download CyberDuck on your Mac. There are other SSH clients though that you can use, I just personally use that one. There are lots of guides to change sms tones via SSH, just search for them. :)

RyanTheAppleMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
SSH lets you connect to the phone remotely from your computer over wifi, and you can change files. You have to download CyberDuck on your Mac. There are other SSH clients though that you can use, I just personally use that one. There are lots of guides to change sms tones via SSH, just search for them. :)

Do you have screen flow? Do you think you can make a video for me of what to do? I just finished installing CyberDuck on my mac.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
wow...seriously how completely helpless are you? you want someone to make you a VIDEO of what exactly to do? you're embarassing your parents right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.