SMS storage after v1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dima1109, Mar 26, 2008.

1. dima1109 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

I'm a noob here, about to pull a trigger on an iphone (unlock->t-mo), and, naturally, have a few questions.

One of them - I text a lot (~5k/month ... yea). I used to have an old Motorola that only let you have 30 messages. Then I got a BB Pearl, which can hold as many as you want, but with quantities over 3k-4k the phone would start getting really slow. Now that i'm considering this apple sexiness, I was wondering what the situation is here. I've read that it can only hold 1000, which kinda sucks because that's only 5-6 days for me. But at the same time I learned that supposedly 1.1.3 upped that number to whopping 75k. Is that true?
    Also, is there a limit on unique conversations I can have stored?

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I have a similar question. Is there a windows program that lets you download your sms from the iphone?

I know itunes will back them up but I rarely sync my phone and wouldn't really want to restore my whole phone if for some reason just my sms got lost.

3. Vultren macrumors newbie

Vultren

I think 75k would be your 8 GB. Basically you have 8 GB of storage, you can put what you want on there and its fine. That goes for text messaging. I have quite a bit of messages saved, so dont worry about saving texts.

4. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Originally the iPhone only allowed for about 1,000 messages before needing to be deleted, but after 1.1.3 that number shot up. I have heard 75,000 is the number you can have, but I don't know if that is an official number. I send/receive right around 1,000-1,500 messages per month and haven't cleared my messages since the 26th of December and am yet to receive any warning of my mailbox being close to capacity.

5. aerospace macrumors 6502a

If 8gb=75000 texts
    ...then each text would be 111kb
    ...why would 120 characters take up 111kb?

You can fit 12 pages of text in 120kb with microsoft works.

6. dima1109 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is reassuring. I'm assuming not very many people text nearly as much as I do with iphones though. But it seems like you've racked up around 2-3k so far with no warnings, so that's good.

Off-topic, but - there is an unlock for 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, right?

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

sorry, but that's really not how it works .... there is a cap on how many messages you can store, and it's not based on the phones overall capacity ... (i just don't know what it currently is)

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The phone has a limit of 75,000. Before it was only 1000, and people complained, so after the 1.1.3 update, they changed it.

I'm in the same boat as you. Although i find myself just deleting the texts at the end of every day.

Texts take up very little space.

9. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think you are right here. The storage has nothing to do with the overall size of the phone storage, but like you, I do not know exactly how it is determined.

Another helpful thing for the OP to know is that clearing messages takes about 2 seconds. I have had phone before that took a minute or longer to empty an inbox, but the iPhone deletes them all within a second or two.

10. dima1109 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem for me is not the time it takes to delete the messages. It does take a while to delete 3-4k messages (about 30 seconds) on the Pearl, which is annoying. And I don't want to put up with the system being so incredibly slow. My thing is - I really want to keep all them all. Since I got the phone (November 06), I've kept all the messages i've sent and received. It's an acceptable solution, but sometimes I don't remember to back up the device when I am at my computer, and I have to walk around with a phone that takes five minutes to respond to commands. I know there are solutions for the iphone that let you back up the texts, but I want to have to do that as seldom as possible.