SMS Text Messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geffen, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Geffen macrumors 6502

Is there a way to temporarly disable SMS messages on the iphone 4 ? i've checked under settings and then messages I do not see anything other than show preview or repeat alert then below that theres MMS messaging and group messages. If i turn the show preview off would that just stop the message pop ups?

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I'm pretty sure turning message previews off would stop the notifications (you could test it for me). I don't think there is any way to natively disable SMS, I thought there was in restrictions but I guess not. You can probably call Verizon/AT&T and have them disable text messages for that number.

3. himesh macrumors regular

Turn on airplane mode? But that will disable most things on the phone

4. ktang macrumors member

You can always give your carrier a call and ask them to disable text messages, and when you do watch them again, just give them a call to enable it.

If you're on AT&T, there might be a option to manage it online, I think I have seen it, you can check it out and correct me if I'm wrong.

5. KillSMSPreviews macrumors newbie

Sms preview senders name still shows

When u disable SMS preview, the iphone STILL sends you an SMS preview that shows the senders name! So annoying! Is there any way to stop this? Or do I have to buy a different brand of phone? Can anyone recommend a brand of phone that has the option to turn off previews? Has apple planned to include any updates that will fix this?

Also, u should be able to lock text messages. So if someone's playing games on your phone, they cant go in and read your entire personal life

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Save yourself the hassle. Jailbreak your phone and buy lock info. Problem solved.