SMS timestamps - not on all messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musio, Sep 1, 2008.

1. musio macrumors 68020

musio

Does anyone notice that some SMS messages don't have timestamps - is there some kind of rule that if an incoming message is sent within 5 minutes/a certian period or time it's not timestamped?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I don't know about five minutes per se, but I have noticed that "conversations" aren't time stamped, but then if one is sent later, it is.

I don't like it, myself.

I also don't like that we can't delete individual messages, it's all or nothing. Not cool.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure how long it has to be, but yes I've noticed the same thing.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

The SMS app works pretty much exactly like ichat on osx. Yes, it timestamps every 5 minutes, or whenever the next message comes in after 5 minutes.

I guess they never really figured that people needed to know the exact time a text came in outside of a 5-minute window.

5. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

Actually it shows more accurate time stamps within the 5 minutes, you can see the last activity in the text messages window. Whenever a message is send or received.

But I admit, it's stupid you can't delete individual messages and time stamps should be more accurate. Plus you should be able to forward a message, and maybe a confirmation when the number you are sending too has received it's message. I could do that on my Sony Ericsson K800i, you would get the confirmation "name has received this message". It's quite useful when for say you have an important message to send, and perhaps the receiver hasn't received it due to bad coverage, or maybe the phone is off. When the phone turns on it receives the message and I could see they had received it.

Attached Files:

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It puts those timestamps there in order to separate your "conversations."

I wish that if you tapped on an individual message, it would show you the date and time it was sent, and then give you the option to delete or forward it.

7. pauld macrumors regular

Along with a little "received confirmation" tick!

8. arubinst macrumors 6502

I know this has been the subject of discussion since the original iPhone came out. And I thought that at least several threads or conversations could be created for one single contact, so that you would not have to loose everything related to that contact when you delete a conversation.

So, is there anything that can be done? Any feedback that could go to Apple somewhere with enough people requesting these features that would produce a change?

For those who have experience with the SDK: Does the SDK provide access to the sms.db sql database where the iPhone keeps conversations?

Oops... I hope I'm not hijacking this thread with this last questions. If it is the case, feel free to let me know and I will edit my post.

9. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

When every one says every minutes, they were referring to at least 5 mins or more after the last message sent/received. For example, if sent/received att 4:12pm, the next stamp would be 4:17pm (or later.)

Deleting individual messages would be nice, but so would forwarding. As soon as you are able to delete certain messages, they will probably add the forwarding functionality. I actually like not being able to delete at times, all or none (especially w/ arguments with g/fs.)

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If you were able to tap the SMS and get the date and time, it might conflict too closely with a potential copy and paste feature.

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That is true.... but you would think that the copy and paste feature (in incorporated) would include some from of pressing and holding on the screen where as to get the date and time and maybe some other options you could just single tap.